X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does Kubuntu stand?

Hello All,

I have read differing posts on this so I thought I would ask you folks.

Is Kubuntu the red headed, left handed stepchild only supported by the /community/ or is Kubuntu a supported product of Ubuntu and Canocal?

Mike
    txWingMan

Re: Where does Kubuntu stand?

Kubuntu is a fully supported product, just like Ubuntu (and Xubuntu and Edubuntu and Gobuntu).

as explained here: It is an official part of Ubuntu. All our packages are in the same archives.
    The Nomad's Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

And how cool is it? There's about 8 of us in the world using it (or so it would seem) and we still get full support.

Makes me happy.

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by Lowey
        And how cool is it? There's about 8 of us in the world using it (or so it would seem) and we still get full support.

Makes me happy.

Well, the forums currently have 24106 members, and there's probably more Kubuntu users in the world than KF members.

But it's cool anyway
        The Nomad&#39;s Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad
          Kubuntu is a fully supported product, just like Ubuntu (and Xubuntu and Edubuntu and Gobuntu).

as explained here: It is an official part of Ubuntu. All our packages are in the same archives.
          Thanks for the link. That clears that up!
          txWingMan

Comment

There are some things that make it seem as though kubuntu is not as supported as ubuntu. For example the next release 8.04 will not be a LTS release for kubuntu. It will be for ubuntu. This is merely due to the introduction of KDE4 to kubuntu for the next release.

To be honest though, there is little difference between kubuntu and ubuntu. One can easily become the other. (sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop or sudo apt-get intall kubuntu-desktop) For that reason, both the ubuntu and kubuntu forums can be helpful.

Mike
            http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

If I'm thinking correctly, we'll be offered 2 options with the 8.04 release:
              1) An LTS version based on KDE 3.8.x
              2) A non-LTS version based on KDE 4

Either way, it does seem as though Ubuntu receives more support than Kubuntu, but my reasoning tells me that is mainly because they have more users, thus more Ubuntu-specific developers. That is completely based on gut instinct, however, and certainly not based on hard facts (so please don't quote me ).
              Asus G1S-X3:
              Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

For me, just a home user, LTS means nothing. I plan to upgrade every cycle anyway. But in a production environment, I would suppose LTS means a lot.
                txWingMan

Comment

Originally posted by txHarleyMan
                  For me, just a home user, LTS means nothing. I plan to upgrade every cycle anyway. But in a production environment, I would suppose LTS means a lot.
                  Correct.

I was going to quote integr8e, but he said not to quote him. But he is correct that they have more users so it appears that way. The packages are all interusable. I have quite a few gnome apps that I prefer, but my primary, personal preference is all KDE (Kubuntu).

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                    That's quite a leap, considering we have 3.5.x now ...anyway, the 3.5.x version is not going to be LTS either (it was first planned as an LTS release, but the decision was changed)

That said, I concur that LTS doesn't mean much to a home user (or to anyone who upgrades from version to version), it might have an effect on organizations that upgrade more seldom (LTS->LTS).

I remember reading that the French parliament opted for Feisty (non LTS) instead of Dapper (LTS) when it chose kubuntu, so I guess LTS doesn't mean that much to all organizations either.

I would have moved both ubuntu and kubuntu LTS releases to 8.10 instead of just making ubuntu 8.04 an LTS release, but of course I don't know all the facts or commercial implications for such decisions.

Comment

There will be no LTS version for Hardy. Neither for KDE 3.5.8 nor or KDE 4.0. That is final.

Ubuntu receives more support because it is really Canonical's baby/poster child. Canonical is hell bent on marketing Ubuntu. Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, etc. are just "convenience" addons to Canonical's "resume". They're supported inasmuch as Canonical provides the same infrastructure and tools as it gives Ubuntu. But Ubuntu will always be Canonical's priority and preference.

As for LTS, I've heard a few individuals, as well as developers, say that they've been using Dapper ever since. But I doubt any of them took a Canonical (paid) support contract. And that's the heart and soul of this LTS gimmick (if I may call it that). It's all about financial considerations. There are probably more Ubuntu support contracts than Kubuntu. The Kubuntu rollouts that we know of (like the French parliament) don't use LTS nor do they buy support from Canonical. So Kubuntu is no money tree for Canonical, hence the decision.
                      Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Well, just a note to the Kubuntu developing team: Keep up the great work! Kubuntu is great and with KDE4 coming along, Kubuntu will be light years ahead!

Comment

That's quite a leap, considering we have 3.5.x now
                          Asus G1S-X3:
                          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                            The packages are all interusable. I have quite a few gnome apps that I prefer, but my primary, personal preference is all KDE (Kubuntu).
                            Well, it seems like KDE apps run quite a bit faster under KDE (same with GNOME apps under GNOME). Is this just my imagination?

Comment

Well, I have two Gnome tools that I could find that I use. I thought it was slightly more. The two I use run great. The rest is all KDE, so as far as that kind of comparison on "speed", I can't do.

Comment

Working...
                              X