Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird question... Gnome running instead of KDE?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird question... Gnome running instead of KDE?

Okay I'm trying to figure out how to explain this...

Well, I got my old HP laptop running. I managed to get Kubuntu running on it, yay. LOVING IT.

I was having trouble finding the laptop cooler for a while, and so my time using this computer was kinda limited because once it got too hot it shut down (it always did this), and it shut down while updating to Gutsy Gibbon. So I pulled out the LiveCD and reinstalled Kubuntu from the ground up. All well and good. (and then I found the cooler so no problems with premature shutdown anymore!)

Well for some strange reason...I was using the laptop a couple weeks ago (I believe the last time I was using it was Christmas eve), and I shut down. Tonight I booted up and for some odd reason instead of the KDE desktop that looks a lot like Windows with the K-menu where a Windows start button would be, and the clock in the lower right, the desktop looks COMPLETELY different. It seems to be running Gnome (there's an "About Gnome" link under the System menu), and things are really confoozling me.

Also I tried to go into Adept when I plugged in the ethernet cable, and download updates and it said something about not running in root. Which is odd, because I'm the root admin, I logged in with my usual password, and every other time I went into Adept it would pop up a box asking for my password to run in root and it didn't.

So I was wondering, first, how in the world did this happen!? And second, how do I get back to my nice KDE desktop where I was just getting the hang of where things were at and how things worked?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

~MJ~

Re: Weird question... Gnome running instead of KDE?

Well, I don't have a clue how Ubuntu could have been installed from a Kubuntu CD (unless you accidentally installed using an Ubuntu CD), but I believe I can help you get back to KDE. Open a console and run the following command:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update; sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop
    That should install Kubuntu; then, log out, select the drop-down menu that allows you to choose your session type, and select KDE. Log back in and you should be running Kubuntu. Once you've done that, you can begin uninstalling the Gnome desktop components.

Let me know how it goes
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
    X