This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unable to start from 7.10 CD

I downloaded the 7.10 CD and was planning to try livecd approach. Unfortunately I was unable to get Kubuntu started.

The desktop where it is failing has two disks an older IDE drive and a new SATA drive. The CD boots on Dell Latitude D-620, my other machine, just fine.

On the list of options if I just hit enter on "Start or Install" then one of the two things happen: Either I get a blank screen with cursor at top left Or I get a initramfs> prompt and then a series of error messages:
    ata1.00: revalidation failed (errorno=-2)
    ata1.00: revalidation failed (errorno=-5)
    exception Emask 0x0....
    cmd c8/00:00:....
    The last two messages keep repeating. After some time I also get
    Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 10991328

I got some suggestions at IRC yesterday (thanks firecrotch, nuxil, glads) and tried the following variations, but without any success:

- Using the Safe Graphics Mode
    - trying various boot params. I tried the following combinations. Most times, I hit escape on the first list to reach the "boot: " prompt. I also tried for some by pressing F6 which showed me some more parameters. I added my parameters both to the end of the line (after the ``quiet splash --'', i.e. after the --) and before the --. For the "boot: " prompt I had to prefix by "live ". The options I tried were:
    o acpi=off (for the boot prompt the line before hitting enter is "boot: live acpi=off")
    o acpi=off hda=noprobe hda=nodma
    o acpi=off hda=noprobe hda=nodma hdb=noprobe hdb=nodma hdc=noprobe hdc=nodma
    o live acpi=off ide=nodma nohotplug nodetect

I also unplugged both hard disks (I think) and got the same error. That would point to some issues either with the drive or the media, but I am able to use the drive for reading and writing just fine and the media works fine with my other machine. Before trying a different drive I would like to confirm the problems is indeed with the drive. To that end, I am currently downloading the Kubuntu alternate CD. I also want to try some other distro. Any suggestions?

I am very keen to move that home machine from Windows to Kubuntu. I have to. Appreciate any help.

Re: unable to start from 7.10 CD

Googling your errors I get the impression that your sata disk is dying. However, do try Kanotix or Knoppix and see whether they boot...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
    X