This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LIVE runtime username/PW in Kubuntu

Just booted the latest live runtime CD and most everything in German/Dutch/? - managed to choose the American from a menu and get to the KDE interface where I changed the default language to english in hopes that more of the menus would be understandable. Notice told me I had to log out and restart my session for this language change to take place - then of course it wants a username and password. Like what is it?

All documentatin refers to the username and password received when installing, but no mention about running LIVE version.
    Any help? I like the pretty blue login screen but I need to get back to the desktop and be able to read ALL menus in english.
    Trying to evaluate this for possible teaching applications (OS differences not language learning )

I saw where 'James' was banging his head in reference to others asking what the root password was... but I think this is a valid point since there is little discussion on these runtime versions and no real way to set up accounts and PWs since there is never a real install - any help appreciated.

Re: LIVE runtime username/PW in Kubuntu

Did you ever get an answer to this? How is a Live CD supposed to be a great thing for newbies if they can't do anything because they don't know the default password and so can't set a new one? You can't use sudo without the user password either.

Not to mention the fact that a newbie trying out the latest KDE preview would be stuck in German regardless of their language. That much I was able to change. Would be nice if I could log out of the GUI and back in to have all the menus in English, but without the user password that's impossible.

Edited: Okay, I fiddled around. Do this to reset the passwords, though I still don't get why this has to be necessary:

Open a command line terminal.
    Type
    sudo passwd
    You will be asked to set a root password. Do so. Then you can type:
    su
    to become root. Doing:
    su -
    is problematic since the keyboard is set up for German and I don't know where the dash is there. Anyway, then you can type:
    passwd ubuntu
    to set a new password for the ubuntu user.

Comment

I used this on the first german CD: At the beginning, it says deutcsh or something, choose the third option down, and choose english (american) or something of the like. This will set your keyboard to American!
      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Ah ha ... I'll try that next time. I took German in high school and university but it's been a long, long time.

Comment

Working...
        X