X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Konqueror tree view as default

Originally posted by toad
    Don't think so 'cos I had a look at 7.10 and managed to get the tree view working no probs (just don't ask how )

I just had a look at the konqueror.rc files and didn't find anything useful. Strange though that you are the only one suffering from this!

If you haven't made too many changes to your konqueror you may want to try (!)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge konqueror
    But not being on kubuntu I don't know what else kubuntu will want to remove! Check this first before you accept or you may hose your system...
    Yeah - too drastic for my taste right now. I'll suffer for awhile and see what happens.

Seems every time I install a Linux system (Red Hat, Mandrake, Fedora Core 3, 4 & 5 and now Kubuntu. There is one or two small things that drive me crazy until the next time I install the same or an upgrade or another distribution.

The same would undoubtedly happen with Windows. Never installed that (just on the system although on my current system, purchased 12-31-2007, it was a demo machine and so I got a really good deal, but they had to re-image the disk for Windows and that took them almost 2 days to get it right and they are experienced people at doing it) although I did install MSDOS a few times. So those people that moan about installing Linux should try Windows a few times. Linux installs real slick anymore compared to Windows Vista.

Comment

Spot on, geezer (can't believe that the name hadn't already been taken!). Never mind installing windoze, bad enough, but using it is even more of a nightmare...

Welcome to the world of .deb and aptitude. I think you will find it a refreshing change from rpm hell.

And if I may make a suggestion about "annoying things" - try Debian. They don't tinker with anything, X comes out of the box so to speak and it is left to you to make it look pretty. Not very helpful to the uninitiated but a blessing to those with a little experience.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

getting Konqueror to always show a tree is a surprisingly hidden feature. yes, you could get Konqueror to show a tree (even in web browing mode), here's how you do it.

1. Alt+F2 > kcontrol
        2. navigate to "KDE Components" > "File Associations"
        3. under "Known Types" > inode > directory
        4. select the "Embedding" tab
        5. under "Services Preference Order" move "Tree View" to the top.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by vbgunz
          getting Konqueror to always show a tree is a surprisingly hidden feature. yes, you could get Konqueror to show a tree (even in web browing mode), here's how you do it.

1. Alt+F2 > kcontrol
          2. navigate to "KDE Components" > "File Associations"
          3. under "Known Types" > inode > directory
          4. select the "Embedding" tab
          5. under "Services Preference Order" move "Tree View" to the top.

Good luck!
          That did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Thanks a bunch.

I would not have found that in years of constant looking.

You are right it is really "hidden"

Comment

I remember going bananas trying to do this for myself. I'm happy to help

Comment

great stuff, vbgunz! Should this be a sticky/in the wiki?
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                great stuff, vbgunz! Should this be a sticky/in the wiki?
                Definitely

Comment

Give Krusader a try sometime.
                  txWingMan

Comment

vbgunz -
                    Thank you! I've noted the steps. I'm still amazed at why such simple 'fixes' get 'buried' and are so hard for the uninitiated to locate. :P
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by txHarleyMan
                      Give Krusader a try sometime.
                      What are the advatanges/differences of Krusader

Comment

Krusader - Twin Panel File Management For Your Desktop
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

no tabls, only twin panel - but supports everything

Comment

I tried kbgunz's fix in Hardy (KDE3) with no effect next time I opened Konqueror.

I'd like to try setting up the run-command for Konqueror with cmd-line options to force the tree view each time it's opened. Looked at the Konqueror Manual from the help menu, but no cmd-line options are listed. Does anyone know whether Konq has cmd-line options at all?

Comment

Working...
                            X