X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konqueror tree view as default

A simp[le question??

How do I get Konqueror to default to the tree view?

It is setup with the icon view as default - it's driving me crazy having to switch all the time.

Re: Konqueror tree view as default

Configuring Konqueror

Default KDE settings
    From FAQ
    http://www.kubuntu.org/faq.php
    How do I change Konqueror back to the default KDE profiles?

Kubuntu comes with a simplified Konqueror profile to make things more use friendly compared to default KDE.

To get back to the default KDE profiles:

sudo rm -r /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/apps/konqueror
    [this one not needed in gutsy] sudo cp /usr/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror-orig.rc /usr/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror.rc

To enable Konqueror to open tar and zip files:

rm -r /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/mimelnk/application/
    With simplified profile Konqueror hide things:

Topic: Konqueror stoped opening zip-files
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088064.0

Topic: Konqueror show terminal
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089226.0

Konqueror can remember individual view settings for each folder

From Enable per-folder view settings in Konqueror
    http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.p...s_in_Konqueror
    How to enable per-folder view settings in Konqueror

Konqueror is capable of saving individual view settings for each folder, but the option for this is not present in its configuration page. To enable this feature you will need to edit your konqueror configuration file:

* Open your konqueror configuration file in kate (or kwrite)

kate ~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc

* Locate the section "[MainView Settings]"

* Add this line to it:

SaveViewPropertiesLocally=true

* Save the file. Restart any running instances of Konqueror

Now, whenever you change view settings (such as setting tree or icon view, changing icon sizes, etc), this setting will be saved per folder. The settings are saved in a file within the folder called ".directory".

You should be able to make this change system-wide (if you have multiple users) by doing the same edit to /etc/kde3/konquerorrc. Naturally, you'll need to do this as root.

Konqueror as default file manager

Topic: How to change konqueror back to default file manager in 7.10
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087520.0

Cutomize Konqueror front page

Topic: alter Konqueror front page to display mnt as well as media?
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087338.0

New stylesheets for Konqueror

Konqueror > Settings > Configure Konqueror > Stylesheets -> Use user-defined stylesheet

Replacement for Konqueror's CSS File
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=65593

Konqueror Service Menus

From Creating Konqueror Service Menus
    http://developer.kde.org/documentati...vicemenus.html
    Introduction

In KDE-speak a "servicemenu" is a special entry that appears in Konqueror's context menu depending on the file(s) that are selected. You may have seen them in action without even knowing it. For instance, if you have the KDE file archive utility "ark" installed you will see a menu entry to "Extract here..." whenever you right click on a tarball or zip file. The option to "Extract here..." is a servicemenu.

Creating new servicemenus is very simple, requiring nothing more than an idea and a text editor. You don't have to be a programmer or a KDE wizard to make them.
    Service Menus for Konqueror:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/index.php?xcontentmode=287

Note
    You can use Konqueror servicemenus in the Dolphin (some of them).
    Topic: Service Menus with Dolphin
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088743.0

Even more links:
    Jucato's Data Core / Reclaiming Konqueror Profiles in Dapper and Edgy (and in Gutsy)
    http://jucato.org/kde/konq-profiles.html
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

long and comprehensive reply!

here is a short and not so comprehensive one: enable the tree view, go to Settings - Save view profile and save your view profile Next time you open konqueror it will come up the same.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
        long and comprehensive reply!

here is a short and not so comprehensive one: enable the tree view, go to Settings - Save view profile and save your view profile Next time you open konqueror it will come up the same.
        Thanks - an answer I can actually use.

The previous answer told me everything I wanted to know about configuring Konqueror and I thank the writer for the information and the time taken to post it. It will prove invaluable to me in the future. I have saved the page for future reference when I have the time to actually use it.

Comment

Well - almost - haven't worked through the voluminous documentation yet.

Is there a short answer for the following:

When I reboot and Konqueror comes up, those tabs which were opened when I shut down open back up in tree view.

BUT when I open a new tab for a new view of a new directory, it defaults back to the icon view which yields almost no information.

I followed about the advice to save a profile, but when I tried to save a pofile, that option was grayed out so I wasn't able to save a profile.

So my question remains how to get Konqueror to use tree view as the default view when opening a new tab for a new directory? I see no easy way to accomplish this.

Comment

I can assure you that it is frightfully easy 'cos even I managed to do it However, communication or rather understanding of what has already been done and what still needs to be done is the stumbling block in our case.

When you say "I followed about the advice to save a profile, but when I tried to save a pofile, that option was grayed out so I wasn't able to save a profile." do you mean to say that you never were able to save a profile? How about going into 'Configure View Profiles'?

Keep at it, this is a breeze Honest...
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I can assure you that it is frightfully easy 'cos even I managed to do it However, communication or rather understanding of what has already been done and what still needs to be done is the stumbling block in our case.

When you say "I followed about the advice to save a profile, but when I tried to save a pofile, that option was grayed out so I wasn't able to save a profile." do you mean to say that you never were able to save a profile? How about going into 'Configure View Profiles'?

Keep at it, this is a breeze Honest...
              Ok - I clicked on "Configure View Profiles" and saved the "File Management" profile.

Now when I open a new tab and go to a directory, I still get the icon view. In order to get the tree view with a profile, I have to click "Settings"->"load profile"->"File Management"

This is the same number of steps as clicking "view"->"view Mode"->"tree view"

What I want Konqueor to do is to switch from fthe icon view to the tree view as the default when I open a new directory in a new tab.

As you say it is probably easy ----- when you have done it a few times.

I'm getting the impression that whoever designed the interface didn't think that people would want a different default view.

I was able to accomplish this with Konqueor under FC 5. But please don't ask me how. I have no idea. I just kept clicking things until Konqueor automagically switched to tree view as default.

I thought that it would be that simple now. Apparently not.

Comment

Hm, so your normal file management profile now has tree view. Good. Question is, which profile is applied to newly opened tabs that do not have the tree view?

You could go through all the listed profiles and save them with tree view - this would make sure that whichever profile you use you get tree view...

I am running Debian Etch so I cannot really reproduce your problem, but I seem to remember that Kubuntu has a Kubuntu File Manager profile as default - have you saved that one with tree view?

Comment

Save tree view for web browsing And file management.
                  txWingMan

Comment

Originally posted by txHarleyMan
                    Save tree view for web browsing And file management.
                    Done - same poblem - I have to load a profile, either file management or web browsing to get the tree view in a new tab. A new tab goes to icon view by default. Saving the 2 profiles didn't vchange that.

There must be a way to change that default view. ?!?!

Comment

Read the help pages for Konqueror. The help pages state that if I set the tree view as the the current view and then exit konqueror, the next time Konqueror is booted, the tree view becomes the default view.

Now that was how it used to work under FC5.

The current Konqueror under Kubuntu doesn't seem to work that way.

Konqueror under Kubuntu seems determined to default to icon view no matter what.

Is this one of those paternalistic ways that "we know better" or am I just missing something really simple or very complex here ?

Comment

do the same to the other profiles - sooner or later you will hit the default one (I hope)

Comment

do the same to the other profiles - sooner or later you will hit the default one (I hope)
                          Already did that - only two profiles: file management and web browsing. Saved both with tree view and had no effect.

Comment

Could the icon view be hard coded in Konqueror under Kubuntu for silly reason??

Comment

Don't think so 'cos I had a look at 7.10 and managed to get the tree view working no probs (just don't ask how )

I just had a look at the konqueror.rc files and didn't find anything useful. Strange though that you are the only one suffering from this!

If you haven't made too many changes to your konqueror you may want to try (!)
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get remove --purge konqueror
                              But not being on kubuntu I don't know what else kubuntu will want to remove! Check this first before you accept or you may hose your system...

Comment

Working...
                              X