This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen after installing Kubuntu

I have installed Kubuntu on a Toshiba laptop and now all I get is a totally black screen and the fan laughing at me when I switch on the notebook - not even the Toshiba sign and the possibility to enter the Bios are available.

I also tried to boot from the installation CD again, but it doesn't work.

The notebook was previously running on Windows XP, but when the computer came back from Toshiba "support" the system was pretty much useless, since windows only showed a blue screen and you had to do everything with this command menu thing (which you can access via strg + alt + del). When installing Kubuntu, I chose to delete everything which was on the harddrive before.

This is pretty much all I've done. Do I deserve this disaster?

Regards,
    Robert

Re: Black screen after installing Kubuntu

You had mentioned that the laptop had recently come back from Toshiba support? It sounds like something may have happened there, given the fact that Windows only showed BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). When you first start the laptop, do the num, caps or scroll locks flash at all?

If Toshiba support "fixed" your laptop, but the processor fan was loose from shipping, it will slowly burnout your processor. Installing a new operating system (such as Kubuntu) creates a lot of heat from the cpu because of the processes needed for installing and setting up the files required.

If the is no activity from your num, caps or scroll locks, it very well could be your BIOS chip. However, simply installing an os, be it Windows or Kubuntu will not effect your hardware such as you had described. It sounds like a talk with Toshiba is warranted here.

I don't think you deserve this disaster, but Toshiba should be your disaster recovery, as they very well may have caused this by shoddy work (only my opinion). No os installation, as I mentioned, will effect your BIOS in that way. But it does generate more heat because of increased processor activity and if your fan was loose, that would be bad. Let me know what happens, John
    Slackware 12 - 32 bit on a ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE Motherboard w/ Pentium 4 3.6 gHz HyperThreaded CPU (OC&#39;d to 4.4 gHz) and 1066 mHz FSB, 4 GB US Modular Low Density DDR2 ram, eVGA Nvidia e-GeForce 6200 LE 512mb PCI-e x16 GFX video. Plays World of Warcraft great!<br /><br />Only Linux @ home since 1996

Comment

Re: Black screen after installing Kubuntu

Dear John, fortunately you seem to be wrong : It is a bit embarrassing to have bothered you this, since the laptop now works perfectly fine after I have removed the battery and put it back again. I know it's the fools recipe, but it works! The bios is accessible again and Kubuntu boots and works just fine. I'll leave it to the geeks to figure out what was wrong initially. Thank you for your help and reply!

Best wishes,
      Robert

P.S.: I don't object if this thread is deleted, since it deals with a problem that seems irrelevant to anybody else.

Comment

Working...
      X