• Show
Clear All

knetworkmanager - do device

New Machine - old one died.

Installed Kubuntu 7.10.

Network connection is:
    1. ethernet to Verizon DSL router/modem
    2. router to verizon

Everything works under Windows Vista. That's how I'm able to post this!

During the Kubuntu install it seemed to connect and update or scan on online database.

Then the knetworkmanager lost the router - it keeps reporting "No Device"

If I "configure" the device, i.e., the ethernet connection, it is set up properly and enabled. It is setup for automatic DHCP and to connect automatically on logon. The connection address to the router is even correct.

I can access the router http page through Konqueror and the router reports connection to both DSL and the ISP as do the router panel lights.

Also, the ethernet port lights show connectivity and activity and the router lights indicate that it is being polled on the ethernet connection.

When I attempt to run apt, it reports the database or something like that is currently being used by another process even though no other s/w update process is running.

Any ideas on how to get knetworkmanager to recognize the ethernet connection again??

Re: knetworkmanager - do device

Not sure I understand your question. Are you saying that you loose the network connection - it drops - or just that apt-get isn't working? Are you able to browse with Konqueror (web browser)?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Not sure I understand your question. Are you saying that you loose the network connection - it drops - or just that apt-get isn't working? Are you able to browse with Konqueror (web browser)?
      Didn't lose the connection - at least since installing. During installation, the installation program seemed to connect and scan online databases.

But after installation, knetworkmanager, reports "no device", even though it reports the configuration and router address correctly.

I cannot browse the internet - no connection.

Konqueror can access the router http page, but that's all. The internet connection is lost to Kubuntu, but not Windows Vista.

Comment

Wired or wireless connection?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Wired or wireless connection?
          As i wrote - it's an ethernet connection to the router.

Comment

OK - solved - Noticed that some apps weren't present. So I vbooted again from the Live CD. ethernet connection present under Live CD.

Re-installed Kubuntu 7.10 from the Live CD.

ethernet connection now present and I am posting this fromn Firefox under Kubuntu 7.10.

Third install. First worked, but had other issues. Second install didn't work and a lot of apps missing. Third install worked like the first. Updating apps seems to fail when the updates have been downloaded and a lot of them have been updated, then get a message about a conflict and when close message window, the update program says that all is done??

Used "Add/Remove Program" link to download what I needed.

Still missing several things:

gkrellm
            libstdc++.so.5
            The "build-essential" package for gcc - still don't understand why that isn't installed automatically with gcc since gcc cannot create executable without it??

Comment

Working...
            X