This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Questions - really new newbie

Ok, the hardware that I'll be making my Linux PC out of is on it's way. (yes, I'll go with Kubuntu)

Here are some quick things i want to know (some should be simple for you, some may not be)
    1 - If you're running Linux without a WM (windows manager, yes?) and say... power goes out.
    A: how likely is it that files were corrupted?
    B: is it a process to reboot or does Linux not know it was shutdown without the Halt command?
    C: how fast can a terminal-only Linux shut down? (can it be done in under.. say... 2 seconds if Quake3 is still running? - auto kill process & shutdown = how fast?)

2 - Is there any way to hide a partition unless the partition is being used? I don't mean to simply unmount it, i mean to actually hide it. Hidden enough so that if it's put into a 3rd party PC it won't show. (i don't mean to simply encrypt it, because the partition WILL get booted from and used at times and it must maintain it's speed.)

3 - Can a script be crated where - if certain conditions aren't met upon boot - Linux will switch to another partition and hide the partiton it's on? (OR unload itself, load the kernel on the other partition) Or would it take hardcore programing?

4 - Does Linux have anything similar to a Window's registry?

5 - how fast does Linux boot (with and without the bells and whistles) and can it do a boot screen to hide the fact it's Liunix to the person sitting at the keyboard? (like, say, a PS3 or XBox splash or something of the sort)

Ok, that's enough for now. Thank you for your time.

Re: Quick Questions - really new newbie

I'm not a total newbie, but most of what you ask is beyond my knowlage.
    1.A I know you loose unsaved data. And when you boot, the fsck checks the system for errors.
    C Well, it takes some time to shut down. I think this can be tweaked somehow, but I dont know how

2. You might need to change something in the kernell for this to work. I'm a newbie in this area

3. I think you should be able to do that. I'm afraid I can't help you

4. No. Most of configs are in the "/etc/" directory.

5. You can change the bootsplash (or was it bootsplash?) and there are tools for that. However it seems that you have to make one yourself. There must be instructions on the web.
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Originally posted by WaxyChicken
      Ok, the hardware that I'll be making my Linux PC out of is on it's way. (yes, I'll go with Kubuntu)

Here are some quick things i want to know (some should be simple for you, some may not be)
      1 - If you're running Linux without a WM (windows manager, yes?) and say... power goes out.
      A: how likely is it that files were corrupted?
      B: is it a process to reboot or does Linux not know it was shutdown without the Halt command?
      C: how fast can a terminal-only Linux shut down? (can it be done in under.. say... 2 seconds if Quake3 is still running? - auto kill process & shutdown = how fast?)

2 - Is there any way to hide a partition unless the partition is being used? I don't mean to simply unmount it, i mean to actually hide it. Hidden enough so that if it's put into a 3rd party PC it won't show. (i don't mean to simply encrypt it, because the partition WILL get booted from and used at times and it must maintain it's speed.)

3 - Can a script be crated where - if certain conditions aren't met upon boot - Linux will switch to another partition and hide the partiton it's on? (OR unload itself, load the kernel on the other partition) Or would it take hardcore programing?

4 - Does Linux have anything similar to a Window's registry?

5 - how fast does Linux boot (with and without the bells and whistles) and can it do a boot screen to hide the fact it's Liunix to the person sitting at the keyboard? (like, say, a PS3 or XBox splash or something of the sort)

Ok, that's enough for now. Thank you for your time.
      Welcome! I'll try some answers, but to be bluntly honest, you're going to have to buy a book or two -- this forum does not attempt to teach such advanced subject matter as your questions #2 and #3 -- that is taught in "Linux Advanced Techniques 432".

1. It's a bad deal to just lose power with any modern computer system. If you think that is a likely scenario, there are a few things you can do to minimize the damage, but it's still a bad deal -- I wouldn't do my banking on such a system! It isn't really a function of the Display Manager/GUI, it's a function of processes running in memory and data transactions not yet written to disk (as I understand it -- it's not my expertise). :P

A. 100%
      B. The boot process is inherent in bringing up the system. There is "suspend to disk" and other power-saving techniques, but they have to be implemented at the time of shutdown -- they don't work if you just pull the plug on the box.
      C. Really fast, if you do Alt-SysRQ RSEIUB.

2. I dunno -- you'll have to buy the book or take the course.

3. ditto (you can do just about anything with bash shell scripts, AFAIK)

4. Analogous, but not "similar" -- as Gediminas2 has described.

5. There's a lot you can do with that -- check here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088532.0

Hope this helps!

Comment

Question 1. is easily 'prevented' by purchasing a UPS (uninteruptable power supply) so that if you loose main power, you have the time to properly shutdown your system. (Not necessary if you are on a laptop and the battery is sound and charged)
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this post.
          Often times when people post up questions of this nature the individual is assumed by others to be reaching too far out of their league and that any answer will not be accepted or understood. but you three have not done that and for this i am grateful.

but now some counter-questions:
          1 -
          A: "how likely is it that files were corrupted?" "100%"
          then does that mean that such things as the Indrema couldn't be done to begin with because of the simple fact that it would have a power button?
          C: "how fast can a terminal-only Linux shut down?" "Really fast, if you do Alt-SysRQ RSEIUB." Good, then i'll look at APM, ACPI, PMU functions when i get my copy and see what i can do with them. Maybe have just a Soft Off switch and unplug the hard off switch from the MOBO will compensate for obsticale A

4: No registry system like windows - good. (it sounds like INI type files in the /etc/ )

5: boot screen mods: Thanks Dibl and Gediminas2 (and i LOVE links.)

I was afraid of that. It looks like i'll have to do this long and drawn out process:

I'm looking at Linux for use in my company.
          I don't know very much about it but i know it's open source and most distros are free.

What i'm looking to do with it:

Distro Kubuntu 7.10
          1 - partition the hard drive into 2 partitions. (call them main and beta)
          2 - install Kub Linux to the main partition.
          3 - use the source code to add awareness of a propriatary file system format. (call this the Beta kernel)
          4 - replace the Main Kernel with the Beta Kernel.
          5 - use the Beta Kernel on the main partition to format the Beta partition in the propritary file system format.
          6 - copy the Core of linux (including the Beta Kernal) to the Beta partition.
          7 - restore the original Main Kernel to the Main partition.

end results should be:
          Beta partition can see both partitions.
          Main partition can only understand its own partition.
          if the HD is removed and placed into another computer then another OS still won't understand the Beta partion.

Next:
          Make the Beta Partition the boot partition.
          upon boot, the Beta Linux will check for a company signed CD in the CD drive (contents vary, signing folows a formula)
          If there is a Signed CD/DVD in the CD drive then it will continue to boot up using the Beta partition and allow company specific work to be performed.
          If there is NOT a signed CD/DVD in the CD/DVD drive then it will unload the BETA os and boot from the Main partition. the main partition will be unable to access the Beta drive.

That's what i'm looking at doing. Is it possiable with Linux and a little education?

I was refered to GRUB:

You can use Hide option in GRUB to hide other partitions.
          Or
          ( Most Secure way ) : Create more than one Extended Partition. None of OS (Windows, Mac or Linux/Unix) recognize more than one Extended Partition.
          1. Extended Partition -- Logical partitions. Install Linux in Logical partition.
          Hide existing Extended partition through GRUB.
          2. Create new Extended and Logical partitions. -- Install other Operating System(s).

With this method, you can create 4 Extended and 11 or more Logical Partitions in each Extended Partition.

You must have sound knowledge of GRUB to implement this. Check GRUB manual.

I'm not sure if that will work but i'll look into it.
          Any other advice is welcome. You have been most helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by WaxyChicken
            end results should be:
            Beta partition can see both partitions.
            Main partition can only understand its own partition.
            if the HD is removed and placed into another computer then another OS still won't understand the Beta partion.
            How thorough do you want this. It is possible to do the first and second just using kubuntu and crippling the version on the main partition (use different root filesystems and then remove support for all but its own from the main partition), however someone with admin access on the main partition would be able to undo this.
            As for the third part I'm guessing the only way to do this would be by encrypting the beta partition.

The stuff about a signed cd I imagine is possible but have no idea how to go about it.

Comment

We already have the technology to determined if a CD contains our signature (company authorized CD)
              An example - not close enough to what we use but good enough to get the point -
              When you have a CD that we wish to be allowed for company use on such a system then you would:
              1 - add up all file dates on the CD.
              2 - add up all sizes of files on the CD.
              3 - Add up the total number of folders on the CD.
              4 - Add up the total number of Files on the CD.
              5 - Subtract the date of the first file in the fat table.
              6 - Divide by the Period of Saturn
              7 - Divide by the length of a Mercury Year
              8 - write a key file to a blank CD containing the signature that you've just created.
              9 - copy the wanted CD to the new CD's remaining blank space.
              10 - system boots, looks for the specified file. if file is found and if it computes then the CD is signed.

The desire for the Hard Drive is:
              1 - You don't want a user (in Main Drive) to access the Beta drive with unauthorized software.
              2 - you don't want someone to steal the drive and have it boot when in a 3rd party PC. (right now we're thinking of using a specific mobo and checking bios signatures on boot.)
              3 - You don't want someone to steal the drive and use a 3rd party PC to read the contents of the Beta partition.
              4 - The hard drive must maintain performance factors that would be hindered if the drive was constantly encrypted and decrypted.

That is why so far we are afraid that we must come up with a new and proprietary file system before we can implement this new structure or the merchandise produced from it. In our company we only really know Microsuck WinDoze (is it just me or does Micro-Soft refer to someone's "equipment"?) and we don't even know if the File System is programed into the Kernel or an external module. None of us have done Linux programing or modding before.

If we have to create a propritary file system and patch the kernel then that could slow our production line severely past date for our clients.

Comment

Working...
              X