This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't boot install CD

I am new to Linux, actually used Red Hat somewhat about 8 years ago and stopped for some reason. Anyway, I want to get back into Linux and am trying to install Kubuntu 7.10 on one of my XP systems (P3, 933 MHz, 256 RAM). I put the CD in and try to boot to it. After all the posting is done the screen flashes and the process starts over again, no error messages or anything.

The CD works fine in my main system (P4 1.9 GHz, 1 Gb RAM) but I want to put it on my older system so I can learn it before I make the switch for good. Any ideas? I am going tomorrow to try to get some more memory for this system to see if that helps, PC133 is hard to find locally but I found some.

Re: Can't boot install CD

It almost sounds like a BIOS issue. Have you tried booting from other discs? Like MemTest86? Also, what type of disc did you use? CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, or DVD-RW?

Comment

I tried it with a CD-RW and then a fresh download on a CD-R. The optical drive is a CD Burner so it reads both of them. While it still had windows on it it read both disks from within Windows no problem. I have since wiped the drive, no partitions or anything. I am able to boot to a Windows 98se and a Windows XP cd with no problems.

Comment

When you have booted from the CD, and you are at the initial menu, look at the bottom of the menu screen. I believe that pressing F6 is Options. Pressing this allows you to edit the kernel options that are pre-built into GRUB menu.list that is being used. User your left-arrow key and move the cursor left until you find the options quiet and splash and the delete them. Move the cursor to the right until you are at the end of the line and then press Enter.

This will allow you to see all the boot messages. When the problem occurs, you will be able to see what the last message was.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the advice, however I don't even get to the menu, the screen flashes then it reboots rather than bringing up the menu. I have tried the pause key on the keyboard because I thought I saw a message flash at the top of the screen once but haven't been able to see the message again.

I checked and I have the most recent BIOS for this computer, according to Gateway's website.

Comment

Just a thought. Sometimes burning at less than 8x helps. I don't know why but it does.
            And yes getting more RAM will definitely be usefull
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well, I got 512 MB RAM in this computer now but still no luck. First, since I had no partitions it installed something called Grub, which did me no good as I know very little command line in Linux. I was able to get that off and put on a Windows 98 DOS partition, didn't actually install Windows.

When I burned the CD-RW it was at 4x, but the CD-R was at 8x. I will try another CD-R at a slower speed tonight as I tried it in a third system and it locked up after I selected to run/install at the first menu. I also have a copy of the free ShipIt CD on order, maybe that one will work for me.

Comment

I tried burning at a slower speed, no luck. I put Windows back on the computer I want to try Linux on and burned the image of it from there, so I would be using the same drive to burn and read to boot, no luck. I even downloaded the burning programs listed on the download page here and tried to burn it and those CD's wouldn't work either. Guess I will have to wait for the CD I ordered to get here and hope it works. Otherwise I will have to try a different distro. Wish I knew why it wouldn't boot these CD's but it will boot the Windows ones just fine.

Comment

Is this PC a desktop or laptop? If desktop, what type of keyboard/mouse connection? USB, PS/2, ? If by chance, they are PS/2, reenter your BIOS setup and look for something like Legacy Support. If it's enabled, disable it, save settings and reboot.

Comment

I finally got this CD to work, actually the SHipIt one and the one I burned. I forgot I had an Ultra 66 card in this computer as the way the case was designed I can not put two hard drives close enough to use one cable (thank you Gateway > ). I removed that card and my network card (only cards I had in it) and the CD worked fine. Putting them back in one at a time worked fine. THen as soon as I connected the drive to the card it wouldn't work. So I disconnected that drive, installed Kubuntu, reconnected the drive and everything works beautifully! There must have been something with the version of Grub on the Live CD that didn't like something connected to that card. I am now typing this from a box that is totally Linux.

Comment

Well, good job! And congratulations on figuring it out on your own. And not least, Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums. I think you'll like it here.

Comment

Working...
                      X