X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Kubuntu User

Hi all,

I'm an ex SuSE 9.3 user, just discovered Kubuntu, and am loving it so far.
    Had some problems with the install of Breezy 32-bit. Thought I'd share my experiences so other users might learn from this.

My first problem was that the install would crash on the "Installing Base system" ... I googled and found many people had this issue. I resolved it by re-recording my 5.10 ISO file but at 4X (as opposed to 24X the first time round). This resolved my issue.

Next problem with the install was that my machine was hanging after it installed the base packages. It was booting up and just hung when it said "starting hotplug subsystem".... This also seemed to be quite a common problem (googled for it). I resolved this one bi disabling my onboard sound in the BIOS (Intel High Definition Audio) and installed a cheap 4-channel PCI sound card I had lying around. Works like a charm.

My machine as of now seems to be pretty stable. I am just busy finding my feet with Kubuntu as the command line is a wee bit different to what I'm used to.

Please bear with me while I learn and ask a bunch of "silly" questions..

Later

Re: New Kubuntu User

No question is silly and thanks for sharing your experiences with others.

And welcome to Kubuntu!

Comment

Re: New Kubuntu User

Originally posted by chscag
      No question is silly and thanks for sharing your experiences with others.

And welcome to Kubuntu!
      Thanks for the welcome! Well, its been about a day I'm using the distro and am finding it very cool. Managed to get MP3 playback, DVD Playback and even P2P working.

So far, so good...

Comment

Working...
      X