X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VGA out on Compaq Evo N610c (SOLVED)

Greetings, All...

I got a LCD monitor for Christmas so I don't have to squint at the laptop screen so much. However, when I hook it up to the laptop, the screen resolution is greater on the external and the desktop looks weird.

I've googled and tried various how-tos that broke xorg completely until I restored the original xorg.conf. I've attached a picture of what the external monitor looks like as well as xorg.conf.

The solution is probably very simple. I'm just at the point of pulling my hair out. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Attached Files

Re: VGA out on Compaq Evo N610c

open a terminal and type

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

read the screens carefilly and you should be able to the accept the defaults.
    BE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR XORG.CONF FILE BEFORE YOU RUN THIS!! that way if X fails you can restore it from rescue mode.

hope this helps
    skillet

Comment

lol. I'm dumb.

$ diff xorg.conf backup.xorg.conf
      76d75
      < Option "UseFBDev" "true"
      82,83d80
      < HorizSync 28-49
      < VertRefresh 43-72

Thank you very, very much and have a great New Years.

Comment

mhauber -

Welcome to Linux in general, and the Kubuntu Fourms specifically. Glad to hear you got your issue resolved so quickly. Gotta love our members.

Please go back to your first post in this thread and click the Modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X