This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't really know if I like (K)ubuntu or not

Don't really know if I like (K)ubuntu or not.

Old (emphasis on old) time computer user - from punch cards and paper tape times - even used an analog computer before the digital took over the world.

Used MicroSoft, then left Microsoft when they decided they wanted to control the user and the world.

Jumped to Red Hat

Then Fedora Core up to FC 5.

Settled on FC 5 until the computer died.

New computer, new OS version.

Settled on Ubuntu because of all the good things I have heard and read. Settled on Kubuntu because I prefer KDE over Gnome.

May have to switch back to Fedora Core.

First impression: The program to update and get new s/w is okay - similar to what FC 5 had. The FC 5 program tended to corrupt the database. The Kubuntu program does the same thing or similar. Halfway through upgrading from the live disk I downloaded, got a message that some file was corrupted and couldn't continue. Got the same message every time I attempted then to get new s/w. Found a solution on these threads - seems the problem is far from unique to me and the solution is fairly well know. As with FC 5 nothing done to fix original program.

Okay so that comes out a draw with FC 5.

Second impression: No root. Now I can understand that - use 'sudo' instead. Well it's been at least 4 or 5 years since I logged in as root. Have used sudo all that time so I could understand the logic for using that, but do not understand the logic with total abandonment of root.

sudo as setup under Kubuntu asks for the user password instead of the root password. The logic behind that totally escapes me. That essentially makes EVERY USER root. Under FC 5 I could restrict my 12 year by making him ask for root privileges as needed and then I would enter the root password and made sure the '-c' option was used every time so that the root privileges ended when the command ended. So I looked for the '-c' option under Kubuntu - not recognized. If I give the 12 year old a user account, then the twins will demand user accounts. The twins on the computer with root privileges makes the blood run cold.

So sudo as used on Kubuntu makes absolutely no sense to me and not too sure I am about to give the twins or the 12 year old user accounts under Kubuntu.

I have an APC UPS XS 900 with computer, display, router and 1 printer plugged into it. Under FC 5 the apcuspd daemon was loaded and activated automatically. Under Kubuntu, no apcusp daemon- But it does have the gapcmon interface. Which is really rather funny, the interface with no way to bridge from there to the APC UPS. Went searching in the "add/ remove s/w" program for the apcupsd program which monitors the APC UPS. None to be found - it doesn't exist under Kubuntu evidently.

Went directly to the APC UPS daemon web site. Found the binaries - only rpms available. Evidently nobody in the debian/ubuntu/kubuntu world uses APC UPSes. I found that to be passing strange.

So silly me, I downloaded the source and figured I would configure and compile as I have done for many years.

I was totally dumbfounded to read the following output from './configure':

checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Evidently the gurus at (K)ubuntu have decided that a compiler that cannot create executables makes sense. I don't follow the logic, but somebody evidently does.

So I went looking for gcc in the "add/remove s/w" program again ---- none to be found.

There are plenty of programs for development and even development IDEs. But plain old gcc is nowhere to be found.

Tried IDEs for a while a few years back. I guess I'm just too old and crusty to be forced into following somebody else's idea of doing things and abandoning my own ways developed over 4 decades. IDEs just didn't work for me.

Now what good is an IDE without gcc I guess if you are using Python, or Ruby or something similar, then gcc isn't needed.

Funny question - how do the (K)ubuntu developers develop (K)ubuntu without gcc Either they know the secret handshake to get it or they are developing under Red Hat, or FC or plain old debian or .........

I'm getting a funny feeling that with (K)ubuntu, it seems that I am back to working with Microsoft s/w and the Microsoft philosophy:

You can do anything on your computer so long as we approve of what you want to do and control your computer experience. And we will determine beforehand just what you can and cannot do.

I abandoned that philosophy years and years back.

Maybe I'll have to do so again.

Re: Don't really know if I like (K)ubuntu or not

Originally posted by totally_new
    sudo as setup under Kubuntu asks for the user password instead of the root password. The logic behind that totally escapes me. That essentially makes EVERY USER root.
    No, it doesn't. Under *ubuntu, only the first user who performed the installation of the OS is granted the privilege to function as 'root' - no other user set up on the system after installation gets this 'power' unless you, as the first user, give the user that function.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, it doesn't. Under *ubuntu, only the first user who performed the installation of the OS is granted the privilege to function as 'root' - no other user set up on the system after installation gets this 'power' unless you, as the first user, give the user that function.
      Okay - I thank you very much for educating me on that. Does the Kubuntu documentation make this point clear. Maybe I should read it.

Now if you can tell where to get gcc so that it can create executables, i.e., it does what it was designed to do, and where to get apcupsd already set up for Kubuntu, then that would be really nice.

If you can explain why apcuspd isn't included on the repository, but gapcmon is, that would clear up that mystery.

Comment

As to root in *ubuntu vs Debian, you will probably find Annotations On The Handling And Training Of Penguins (by Birdy aka DrHouse aka UnicornRider) pages informative. This is Unicornrider who used to be a regular member on the Forum. He's no longer an active member, but his insight and knowledge is vast.

gcc and apcupsd can be selected and installed via Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manager) or, if you prefer, via the CLI (command line) with:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install gcc apcupsd

Comment

gcc and apcupsd are both available through my repositories.

A good alternative is from http://linuxappfinder.com/
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Dear Sir,

I too am an "crusty old guy" nice to know I'm not alone here
            as far as I am concerned adept is a piece of JUNK!!! try synaptic. open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

I think you will be a lot happier with it. after installation it will be in the menu under system

after you install it i would enabling ALL the repositories. you do this by going to "settings" then click on repositories and check all the boxes in the window. you will have to reload the repository list (it should do this for you. if not click the reload button)
            as far as gcc is concerned I have never had a problem with executables. gcc is installed on my system and it shows up in synaptic.

I agree with you on micro$oft. I don't like their MO either, which is why I run linux as I have since 1993.

there is another cool app called kpackage. check it out too.

Comment

Okay - done a little more checking - gcc is and was installed. What I still don't know to date is why I got that error message from 'configure'.

Two possible reasons:
              1. configure didn't understand the output from gcc and so the programmed response was that gcc didn't create executables.

2. gcc as installed doesn't create executables.

Option 2 is so ludicrous to my mind that I have discounted that option on further reflection.

Found apcuspd on Linux Apps, downloaded/installed. Think it may be working, but gapcmon doesn't seem to be working - just always reports NIS network errors. The documentation that I have able to find on gapcmon can be read in less than 1 minute, so knowing what gapcmon is doing or not doing is impossible to tell. Also, impossible to tell how to configure it to work with apcuspd although from the sparse docs available it should do so automatically, but sadly doesn't on my system.

Comment

Ensure that you have the build-essential package installed. You may benefit from reading through this can't run ./configure? post.

Comment

As a completely new user to Linux, I actually to some extent agree with the OP, *Ubuntu does not seem to be the distro for the experienced computer user. I actually much preferred PCLinuxOS, however I had too many problems getting my graphics card working properly in that distro and ended up back here in KUbuntu world. (SUSE I actually quite enjoyed bar one fact, in its app installer if you clicked to remove an item that another item was dependent upon, the installer would remove EVERYTHING with the exception of the kernel)

Kubuntu seems to follow along the patterns of 'Trusted Computing' by removing all root privileges from a user and leaving just a single pseudo root. As well as the 'Add/Remove Programs' only containing only high-level software that a low-level level user would understand. While in the the real world this is probably a good idea for the vast majority of computer users out there, however Linux is usually only ever taken up by the few 'privileged in mind' users. This distro can only ever go so far in its current style without branching into experienced users/new users distros.

I must say though, I am looking forward to a KDE4 stable release. (however a KDE4 -- compiz-fusion fusion would definately be nice, tough luck seeing that happen anywhere in the near future, guess we'd have to at least see QtGL first).

Comment

There are some required packages to install prior to compiling from source. 'build-essentials' is one, and any other '-dev' package that is required by the program being compiled.

For removing packages using any package manager, I almost always verify what is being removed before committing.

Mike
                    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

I'll chime in here. I've enjoyed reading this post; most informative. I, too, am an "old guy" who is tinkering w/Linux. I like it; I hate it. Whatcha gonna do? I've tried linspire, ubuntu, kubuntu, freespire, pclinux, mandiva, xandros, short stint w/debian & gentoo. Currently I'm dualbooting xp-pro & kubuntu. My wife & kids say dump xp but I'm not so certain just yet & I've been playing with Linux distros for two years. Anyway.....I prefer KDE's desktop so distros using KDE appeal to me. I wish I had the courage to pull the plug & go all out w/Kubuntu. But there are things about Linux/open source & "free" distros that concern me. In the meantime, I'm tinkering with it & enjoying the learning experience.

just another old timer

Comment

"Currently I'm dual-booting xp-pro & Kubuntu."

I was doing so with Vista until last month. Now I'm running a dual-boot (with an option to triple-boot) "Kubuntu only" system (Feisty and Gutsy). But, I have one program (Quicken) and my mp3 player (Sandisk e280) that I need Windoze for. So, I'm running Win XP Pro as a VM (virtual machine) using VMWare Player 2.0. It all works.

If you have the installation disk for your XP Pro, this concept is something you might want to consider. The beauty of such a setup is that I don't have to shutdown one OS in order to get to the other - Win XP runs 'inside of' a running Kubuntu OS! Both are useable at the same time. Sweet. 8)

Comment

Win XP runs 'inside of' a running Kubuntu OS
                          I am using the same setup for my macomedia stuff and sharing files between kubuntu and vm xp nicely. Win actually runs more stable and just as fast as a fresh xp install
                          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

For your UPS, you could try converting the RPM to a DEB with Alien.
                            Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

Working...
                            X