This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem starting up kubuntu

i installed kubuntu the other day and everything was fine until i enabled ati accel driver in restricted driver, when i went to reboot it wouldnt boot back up kubuntu i keep getting this error when everything is starting up
    "
    starting k display manager
    starting powernowd.. ect/rc2.d/s20powernowd: 156: cannot create /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0//cpufreq/scaling_governor: dir non existant
    * cpu frequency scaling not supported
    "
    here is my computer specs

Processor
    Model : 1x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    Speed : 2.39GHz
    Cores per Processor : 4 Unit(s)
    Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
    Type : Quad-Core
    Internal Data Cache : 4x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, Inclusive, 64 byte line size
    L2 On-board Cache : 2x 4MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 16-way, Inclusive, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

System
    Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
    Multi-Processor (MP) Support : 4 Processor(s)
    Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
    System BIOS : AT/AT COMPATIBLE DELL - 15
    Total Memory : 3.00GB DDR3

Chipset 1
    Model : Dell (Bearlake) Processor to I/O Controller
    Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 266MHz (1.06GHz)
    Total Memory : 1.5GB DDR3
    Memory Bus Speed : 2x 333MHz (666MHz)

Video System
    Monitor/Panel : Generic PnP Monitor
    Adapter : ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

Physical Storage Devices
    ST3320620AS 320GB (SATA300, NCQ, 16MB Cache) : 298.09GB (C
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653B (SATA150, 126x CD-R, 126x CD-W, 16x DVD-R, 16x DVD-W, 2MB Cache) : 697.15MB (D

Logical Storage Devices
    Hard Disk (C : 289.80GB (222.70GB, 77% Free Space) (NTFS) @ ST3320620AS 320GB (SATA300, NCQ, 16MB Cache)
    Kubuntu 7.10 i38 (D : 697.14MB (CDFS) @ TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653B (SATA150, 126x CD-R, 126x CD-W, 16x DVD-R, 16x DVD-W, 2MB Cache)

Adapter : Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection

and the iso i used was kubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso. ive been looking all over and i cant find how to fix this

Re: problem starting up kubuntu

It seems to be pointing the finger at "powernowd", so the first notion would be to kill that process. That process is not appropriate for a desktop system such as yours anyway.

So, to determine the process number of powernowd, at the command prompt (which is all you have, I guess) you would enter
    Code:
    ps -e
    and note the process number.

Then, to kill it, do
    Code:
    sudo kill 12345
    (assuming you had determined the powernowd was process #12345.

Then, you should be able to run
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
    and run the X server. Once logged in to your desktop, go to KMenu>System Settings>Advanced>Services and open it, click the "Administrator Mode" button, and find the powernowd line. You need to highlight it, right-click and toggle it "off" so it does not start at boot.

HTH

BTW, if you ever get the itch to re-install, the 64-bit OS will run great on that CPU.

Comment

yeah it fixed it, but as soon as i re-enabled the ati accel. driver it starting the powernowd thing again. so i guess fix it again and not enable that driver?

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm -- why did I know it wouldn't be that easy!

I'm not proficient with the ATI drivers -- an early bad experience with a Radeon card drove me into the Nvidia camp, where I remain. But I'm little surprised at the notion that a video driver requires powernowd, which is a CPU frequency-scaling daemon.

I imagine you really need that ATI driver to get decent video performance. I would enable the ATI driver, then go back and disable the powernowd daemon, and see if the driver stays enabled. If not, I'm afraid you'll be spending time with Mr. Google tonight! :P

Comment

Working...
        X