Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Kubuntu meet my basic requirements?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Kubuntu meet my basic requirements?

Yikes! Don't try that 64-bit Ubuntu on your Intel E6300 -- it's only for AMD processors. The -generic kernel will run perfectly on your CPU, and use both cores.

Comment

-generic kernel?

Comment

I know, I know .... on the download site it is called "PC (x86)" and then the file itself is called "kubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso" (for Edgy), and then when you run "uname -r" you get the kernel version which ends in -generic (if you're using that kernel), versus -i386 (if you're using that one). It's all rather uncoordinated, I guess, for lack of a better term.

For your E6300, and assuming the Edgy version, you want the kernel that ends in -generic.

Comment

say, you wouldnt happen to know how to do a text install off a live cd or where i can find instructions on that would you?

Comment

Happily, that's one thing I have NOT had to learn! Too bad for you, I guess -- I would be glad to help if I could.

I'd start with Google, or else the Ubuntu forum which is more heavily populated than this one. Probably the (K)Ubuntu commands are going to be the same as any other Debian Linux, so don't get hung up on the fact that you're working with Ubuntu.

A really good book that probably covers it is the Keir Thomas book "Beginning Ubuntu". (I'd check, but I'm away from home at the moment).

Comment

Working...
            X