This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set up

I have 2 HDD's, 2 actual, physical drives. I have windows 98 installed on C and some files on C and D. How do i set up a system whereby I can choose which system to boot to?

Also, if i install Kubuntu on my D drive, will it erase the files i have on it?

Re: Set up

Q: "If i install Kubuntu on my D drive, will it erase the files i have on it?"

A: Yes

Read this: Installing Kubuntu, step by step (Windows+Kubuntu) - http://whoiam55.at.preempted.net/?p=18

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by mastergamer
      I have 2 HDD's, 2 actual, physical drives. I have windows 98 installed on C and some files on C and D. How do i set up a system whereby I can choose which system to boot to?
      Kununtu install will automatically setup dual boot for you.

Also, if i install Kubuntu on my D drive, will it erase the files i have on it?
      This is a little more complicated. You need an empty partition to install on. Linux does not know about C and D drives, it only knows about partitions (Windows uses the drive letters to access partitions).

You'll need a minimum of two partitions, a swap and a linux partition. You can probably get by with a 256MB swap, but you'll want to make the linux partition fairly large (mine is about 30GB of my 60GB drive).

You should really read this page to get all the gory details.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkSavant
        You'll need a minimum of two partitions, a swap and a linux partition. You can probably get by with a 256MB swap, but you'll want to make the linux partition fairly large (mine is about 30GB of my 60GB drive).
        Not quite... Kubuntu will install and run on a partition as small as 3.5GB, just it is not reccommended (as people like to install these things called "programs/software" and rip their favourite music). I'd Reccommend ~12GB for Kubuntu and 256 swap. I'd also reccommend putting /home on another partition, for upgrading/keeping your stuff in case of a crash reasons.

Also, regarding your D drive, you will have to set up an empty partition on it. You can do this with Partition Magic, or with Mandriva's first CD of Mandriva 2006, which has a partitioner.
        <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Working...
        X