This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New To Linux Wifi PLEASE HELP

I am "new" to Kubuntu and Linux wireless networking. I have a fair amount of experience with both O/S's (Windows and Nix). I can't seam to get my wireless working. Please help. I have a Toshiba Satellite with a on-board / USB Realtek 8187. I installed the driver via ndiswrapper. The driver is installed correctly and the hardware is "present". Using Knetworkmanager I can create the network and attempt to connect. Everytime I try to connect, it fails. I am at my wits end and almost ready to give up. Please Please help save me from the dark-side (aka Windows) Thanks,,

Re: New To Linux Wifi PLEASE HELP

How to Solve Many KnetworkManager Wireless Connection Problems

I see that this is a second post on the same topic. Please try to stick with a single post per topic. Posting multiple instances throughout the Forum gets confusing.

Welcome to Kubuntu Forums.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry. Thought this might be a better spot to look for help. Thanks

Comment

Ok tried the bove suggestion with no luck.

Comment

I went through this only a month ago. Bad news is I never did get my internal wireless up and running. Good news, I used ndiswrapper to get a usb wireless linksys to work. I'm happy enough for now, although its not ideal, I figure I'll give it time and look for an update or new solution in a few months.

One thing: make sure you downloaded the exact right driver. The reason I say, is that using ndiswrapper with my internal, the driver seemed to work and everything, but it never actually did. With my usb, i downloaded one and again, it seemed to be right and identified but never did work. I dug out the original windows cd and used the driver off that, which had the same name as the one I downloaded ... but this one actually did function. So try some different options if you can.

Comment

Not certain if this will help at all but I have had some of these same problems with my broadcom wireless. Everything appeared to install correctly and the driver was loaded properly in ndiswrapper, but still no go. Figured out, after some looking around, that all I needed to do was blacklist the default driver.

Here's the post where I found the steps that worked for me: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7421.0

Comment

Working...
            X