Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help recovering files from corrupted HD!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help recovering files from corrupted HD!

Hey there! I'm hoping the community can give me a hand on this one. My hard drive just bit the dust physically (I can hear the squeal of a small rodent in pain in there). I've got a new one coming today, but in the meantime, I've got my laptop (IBM ThinkPad T40p, just in case you're wondering) functional under the kubuntu livecd of Gutsy. I've even managed (with the help of the much-more-knowledgeable mister) to mount my corrupted hard drive in media as sda1.

I've been able to retrieve my files from my home directory, but I can't get to places like the Desktop or .kde (so I can retrieve my email and kontact data). I used dolphin to "open as root" for Desktop, but whenever I try to move any files to the samba share of our home network, I get a message that "file or folder /media/sda1/home/jsoko/Desktop/$whatever does not exist."

I'd really hate to lose my email, contacts, calendar, etc, and all the little things I had on the desktop. Any suggestions or feedback are appreciated.

Re: Need help recovering files from corrupted HD!

Maybe Ddrescue ( HOWTO: Rescue data from hard disk ) or PhotoRec ( Topic: Hard Drive Recovery helps.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
    X