Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why 2 Generic's? (I now know 'why?' - Thanks)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why 2 Generic's? (I now know 'why?' - Thanks)

Hi.

Just a quickie.

Everytime I install a new version of Kubuntu (and perhaps it happens on other distros too) I get the option in Grub to log into either for example 22.14 or 20.15.

Why the option and do you need both on the system?

Thanks
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: Why 2 Generic's?

It is part of the *buntu reliability design that a new kernel installation preserves the prior kernel. The assumption behind this design is that your prior kernel was working, at least well enough that you were able to upgrade. Therefore, if for some reason the new kernel borks your system, you would want to be able to boot into the previous kernel to have a working system again.

If the new kernel works fine and you have no need for the older one, you can remove it, but in truth they aren't big files so you're not sacrificing a lot of hard drive space to leave it alone. If seeing it on the boot menu bothers you, you can simply edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and remove the stanza that refers to the older kernel, or simply comment it out by inserting leading "#"s.

Comment

Re: Why 2 Generic's?

If you leave the "unnecessary" entries in the menu.lst, you can see what is installed on your system. As dibl told you, if you don't want to see them on the boot menu, place a # sign before each line in menu.lst that you feel is irrelevant. (in /boot/grub/menu.lst -- edit is as root, then File > Save)

If you do a "real" cleanup, checkout what Rog131 says about how-to:

Menu.lst Removing Unnecessary entries from menu.lst Rog131
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082556.0
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Why 2 Generic's? (I now know why? - Thanks)

That's great - thanks for the other tips too.

Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
        GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
        Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Working...
        X