This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

freezing problem + help with latency kernel

I am having a problem with kubuntu 7.10 were everything freezes after about 3-5 minutes. The mouse still works but nothing responds to it. i have spent the last couple of hours researching the problem and i came across a couple of people that said installing the low latency kernel fixed the problem. i have try every other solution that i have read. If someone could just point me in the right direction that would be great. I have been looking for a while now and I'm not finding anything of use.

PS. i play with Linux here and there but i always run into some problem that keeps me from moving to Linux full time. i really want to get away from windows once and for all!!!!

Any help will be great. Thanks

Re: freezing problem + help with latency kernel

You would do well to read up on the low latency kernel. One place to begin:
    About the Low Latency Kernel....
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks snowhog. Guess i will just have to find a different solution to my problem. i'm running kubuntu on my laptop and i love it. It just does not want to work on my desktop.

Comment

I'm a little skeptical that the running kernel has anything to do with the "freezing" problem, so I doubt that changing to the low-latency (now called "real time") kernel will help.

If, while your Kubuntu system is working correctly, you will open a Konsole window and enter
        Code:
        you will be able to observe the running processes listed in descending order of resource consumption. Leave it open until the system freezes, and the top process on the list will no doubt be the one that sucked up the CPU. Learning which process that is will probably enable some remedial action to stop it from killing the session. Probably it's either the strigi daemon or xorg.

Comment

this is definitely what my issue is, first i thought i was leaving it running over night downloading, but further investigation is showing it freezing if left unattended within 5mins.
          Ive managed to work out that if i log out if im leaving the machine thats fine. Also if i return and its frozen if i cntrl-alt-backspace this will chuck me out to login rather than having to power it off.

Every time i see this xorg is the top process and is consuming +80%

This is the first time i've had this issue and i run 7.10 on 1 other desktop and 1 laptop.
          Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

Working...
          X