This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying out Linux

I'm interested in Linux. Mainly curious. What is the best Linux to use ( i heard there are many versions, im not sure) for someone who wants to mess around and just want something new to play around with since i can't play with Vista yet.
    Something that is almost as functional as Win XP.
    8)

Re: Trying out Linux

Kubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 7.10, the latest MEPIS.
    Do them all -- put them all on the same drive, 10-15 GB each, and dual boot.

http://distrowatch.com/

Kubuntu is neat and works well for XP people.
    Which is why we are all here.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi.

I'm a linux noob (totally non technical) and have played around for some time with Red Hat, Mandrake as was and Mandriva and Suse plus a couple of others. Without doubt I can say that Kubuntu is the best that I have ever used. It has always worked 'straight out of the box' and the only issues I have are when I try something for 'fun'. Currently that would be trying to get Compiz to run on my ATI Radeon card.

Having said that if you are happy with a fast, smart and very well supported system DONT play around but if you are curious always search the web for info. There is so much and probably too much sometimes so schedule some reading time! Openoffice provides all I need and there are sooooo many other bits of software to cater for all tastes - you'd be mad to stay with Windoze!

Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
      GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
      Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Hi,

I too have dabbed with many distros. It really comes down to personal preference. Even with Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Some like Gnome Desktop some like KDE. I would echo leadwt on the fact that Kubuntu runs pretty much right after you install it. Not a whole lot of configuration changes that need to be made other then customizing your background, screensaver etc. I used to be a Suse Linux user (have to use the enterprise at work) but the open version the new menu system I found to be annoying. Mandrake was pretty good but lacked alot of options unless you specified them in the install. Fedora works well too but didn't meet my needs. I actually built this system for Linux and tried a few distros on it which you should try out several if you want the well rounded Linux experience. But as of now Kubuntu is my distro of choice (since dapper actually) because the Nvidia graphics drivers are easy to install without messing up X windows configuration plus adept, apt and even automatix all made setting up everything I needed a breeze. I use Kubuntu for web browsing, email, FTP and most of my internet needs. The only windows boxes I have are for the games that I can't get to run on wine or are not made for Linux. Once that changes this house will be microsoft free!!!!

J
        8)

Comment

If your looking for a newbie friendly distro, might wanna try out either Ubuntu, Kubuntu, SimpleMEPIS, linuxMINT or PClinuxOS. They all worked out of the box for me, and shouldn't be too much trouble, until you can survive in the linux world, then maybe try out other distros.

Comment

heh believe it or not, the OP is subtly spamming the forums, if you look at the sig

Comment

Working...
            X