X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect to wireless, please help!

Hi everyone!

I am totally new in Linux and after install the Gutsy 7.10 in my laptop, I cannot get my wireless works. I am trying to left behind Vista and XP, but I have things to do and forcely I need the wireless... Can somebody help me?

My config is: Dell Inspiron 1501, AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50, 2GB Ram 667Mhz, 120GB HD, Dell Wireless 1390 WLan Mini Card, Broadcomm 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, ATI Xpress 1150 256MB HyperTransport.

I don't know far away than "clear" command in linux, I will be very thankfull if someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance

Re: Can't connect to wireless, please help!

This is how I got mine to work. Just copy and paste in the terminal. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=dell+1390

Comment

It is not necessary to compile ndiswrapper besides which the version in that howto is old. Instead of the instructions in Step 2, do the following

sudo apt-get update
      wget http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R151517.EXE
      sudo echo blacklist bcm43xx >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
      sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

as the instructions say, reboot. Skip Step 3 and continue on with Step 4. Good luck.

Comment

with Gutsy, just connect to a wired internet & enable the restricted drivers in the control panel. it's much easier & worked like a champ on mine. it will download the correct drivers & set up the wireless card automatically.
        open adept.
        at the top, click adept & select "manage repositories".
        make sure that the "propietery driver box is checked"
        reload.
        go to the advanced tab in the control panel & select "restricted drivers"

it will do the rest

Comment

I don't have this particular adapter, so YMMV. With Broadcom adapters the kernel driver will cause your 54Mbs adapters to deliver 11Mbs. My research said it was this same with this adapter. It the lower performance is not a problem for you, I agree with the poster above, use the kernel driver.

Comment

Working...
          X