Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Ubuntu not work on my system (Specs included here)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does Ubuntu not work on my system (Specs included here)

I am completely at a loss for why this operating system REFUSES to run on my system.. it's top of the line!

Motherboard: XFX nForce 680i SLI LT
    RAM: 2046 MB High performance ram (I forget the exact brand but I can garuntee the quality here... nothing wrong)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 2.66 GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    Graphics card: NVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
    Hard drive: Come on.. nothings wrong here.. (2 WD and 1 Maxtor)
    Mouse: Microsoft Habu Mouse
    Keyboard: Eclipse II
    Network card: D-Link AirPlus (Doesn't matter since I have a lan cable plugged into the motherboard)
    Sound Card: SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Issues I have:
    When booting, graphics is garbled... No mouse support, keyboard issues, Access to folders during recovery sequence (all possible solutions to my problems I have found so far require this) is null and void. Also.. no network at all... All in all, this is getting tiring as almost ALL linux distros have these issues... jeeze. Any recomendations or solutions?

Re: Why does Ubuntu not work on my system (Specs included here)

Since most of Linux devs are on o bit older machines, that might be the problem. I can't say if this is the case, however.

I don't know how to help you. Sorry
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Originally posted by Crusaderoath

it's top of the line!
      As Gediminas2 has suggested, this might actually be "the problem". However, I doubt that it literally won't run -- did you try it as a Live CD first? If it runs the Live CD, even if you have to tweak the video settings, then it will run from the hard drive after it is installed.

I just installed a GeForce 8800 GTS and yes, there was an issue or two in the process.

I would suggest that you configure a VESA display at your favorite resolution, like 1600 x 1200, by following this guidance:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

and then download, install, and run the Envy script driver installer as per this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

If the splash screens are still goofed up, you can edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst to add an appropriate resolution, as per this:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:G..._splash_screen

Then let's see how many issues you have left once the display is looking right.

Edit: In my most recent adventure with the Envy installer (3 days ago), it complained about some missing dependencies, and it was necessary to abort the Envy installation, go get the supporting files that it needed, and then install Envy. No worries ... it works.

Comment

How about restricted-manager-kde ? Doesn't it download the needed drivers?
        Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Originally posted by Gediminas2

That is what it is SUPPOSED to do .... I haven't used it since it borked up my system in Gutsy RC version. It may be OK today, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            Originally posted by Gediminas2

That is what it is SUPPOSED to do .... I haven't used it since it borked up my system in Gutsy RC version. It may be OK today, I don't know.
            works fine in 8.04 hardy alpha (or how do you call it) and it never broke anything. Yet

Comment

The big annoyance here is the solution to video issues is that I have to boot into recovery mode and access a specific file.. I get to the point where it says *computername*root (Rough example) and I cannot gain access to ANY files or anything at all for that matter on the drive.

su root does nothing
              and there isnt even an etc directory to get into.

This is random it seems as every so often I DO get access to a file or two.. but for the most part. Nothing.

Comment

If you could fix the video (perhaps as recommended above), then you wouldn't need to work around the "recovery mode" access. However, pending fixing the video, I can inform you that:

1. If there is no obvious error leading up to the Crusaders/root# prompt, then you can do Ctrl-D and it will continue booting to your user prompt, unless an error stops it.

2. When you are at Crusaders/root# your ARE the root user, you don't need "su" or "sudo". If you enter
                Code:
                pwd
                you will find you are at the /root directory. You could enter
                Code:
                cd ..
                and that will take you up to the / directory, and of course /etc is a directory under /.

Comment

I did what you told me too, its been on whatever comes after:
                  * Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [ok]
                  _

for quite a while.
                  Any idea what it is doing exactly? I reset out of this once, and now I just assumed I should leave it.. Its taking quite a while though.

Comment

Ok.. now the screen is just blank...

*update*
                    I found some additional information about my problem.. It has something to do with "cpu frequency scaling not supported"

Any clues?

Comment

Yep, I've had some "screen already in sleep mode before I ever got to see it" issues with my new 8800GTS. I think you'll probably need to add a "vga=xxx", and possibly a "nolapic" and/or a "noacpi" option in your kernel boot line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. I'm still kind of experimenting with mine, so I'm reluctant to declare the solution. Here's more:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:G..._splash_screen

Comment

I understand what you mean... but the cpu frequency scaling thing seems to have different causes other than video.. Its something to do with my type of processor... But all I can find on the issue is that this normally happens for P4 processors.

Comment

I'd like to see which kernel you are running. In a terminal window or the console, could you please enter
                          Code:
                          uname -a
                          and post the output?

Edit: Here's my kernel boot line, for whatever it's worth -- very "standard":

/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=805ae203-f8c0-4792-b51e-5b7409025200 ro quiet splash

Comment

Working...
                          X