This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Switch Over

Hey All! I am a new switch to Kubuntu from Ubuntu and have a few questions regarding the stability of the K-desktop environment. There main reason why I switched was because of the instability of gnome. Every time i booted the computer, gnome would go crazy and everything would start to quit. Some users on the ubuntu forums recommended that I try Xubuntu and that I did. I enjoyed the environment but found it not fully to my tastes and there I decided to download Kubuntu. I liked it enough to keep it and was wondering if Kubuntu has the same known issues that Gnome and Ubuntu had? Also, I would like to eliminate XFCE from my macbook, is it easiest for me just to use:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xubuntu-desktop
    ?

Also, does anyone know of anyway to turn off tapping on the touch pad. Your help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Re: Kubuntu Switch Over

What known issues exactly are you referring to? Behind the scenes all 3 are identical but at the desktop level they are very different. If the issues were gnome based then they will not be in kubuntu, but if they related to other aspects of the os they will likely be here too.

For the touch pad, just install the package ksynaptics from adept and you can then use that to turn the tapping off.

Comment

thanks for the tip! it says that i need to add

Code:
      option 'SHMConfig "on"'
      to the xorg file. What is the KDE equivalent for gedit? (is it kedit?)

Also, the problems that I was having in gnome revolved around Daemon errors and the whole system just crashing after several programs would randomly quit or fail to open on command. my cousin is certified with Linux and was telling me that such things are common place in the ubuntu gnome environment. he recommended that i try xfce and kde.

thanks again!

EDIT: In case you are curious, here is a reference to the problem that i was having in gnome:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=642149

Comment

sudo kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If you don't already have a trackpad entry in there then you can just paste this one directly:
        Code:
        Section "InputDevice"
        	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
        	Driver		"synaptics"
        	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
        	Option		"Device"	"/dev/psaux"
        	Option		"Protocol"	"auto-dev"
        	Option		"HorizEdgeScroll"	"0"
        	Option		"SHMConfig"	"on"
        	Option		"MaxTapTime"	"1"
        	Option		"MaxTapMove"	"1"
        EndSection
        (the lines for maxtaptime and maxtapmove will also automatically disable tapping)

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbanana
          it's recommended to use "kdesudo" for graphical stuff with root permissions ("kdesu" in older than 7.10 kubuntu release)

Comment

Originally posted by klerfayt
            Originally posted by marshallbanana
            it's recommended to use "kdesudo" for graphical stuff with root permissions ("kdesu" in older than 7.10 kubuntu release)
            Awesome! Thanks to both of you guys for your help! I copied and pasted that one Synaptic section and the track pad tap is off and kdesudo rocks my world.

One final question, I originally installed xfce on my system as the main desktop environment and downloaded kubuntu, is it safe for me to run

Code:
            sudo apt-get remove xubuntu desktop
            ?

Thanks a million again!

Comment

Working...
            X