X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with drivers and mounting

Hey all.

I have been using Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 for several months now as a duel boot with windows on the raid 0 array. I've been very happy with it and seldom boot to windows. I got to wondering why I haven't seen any prompts to update lately so I did it manually. Thats when I found that I could upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10 and the fun began.

The first problem I ran into was the screen resolution. It was so small that I was having a hard time reading it. I tried changing the resolution but ended up with really big res. with no in between. For some reason, I changed the driver that my ati radon 9800 pro gpu was using in the hopes that I could get more options. What happened was that the screen is now unreadable. I'm feeling pretty stupid about it but am outing myself here in the hopes that there is a solution.

Fortunately, the upgrade allows me to boot into Kubuntu which I actually like a little better. The problem I'm having now is that I'm not able to mount all the partitions from my HDD's. I know that Linux won't see the raid array but I have an IDE drive that it reads as an extended partition. It's formated as NTFS so I installed the NTFS configuration tool. This program helped in that I can now see two of my other drives, but I still can't see the 138 gig drive.

My questions
    How do I change the driver back in Ubuntu when I can't see the screen.
    How to I get Kubuntu to mount the other 138 gig drive. It sees it but won't mount it.

the error hal-storage-fixed-mount refused uid 1000

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Trouble with drivers and mounting

Ahhhh ha ha ha!
    Crtl,F6 put me terminal where I could perform the sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg command. So that means I have Gnome back. I still can't access the other drive in Kubuntu but I can in Gnome.

Whew! Finally.

edit, the resolution is better now too. WoOt

Comment

Okay, I got it all worked out. I'm not sure what changed really. It may have been my using Ubuntu to access the other drives that made them work. In any case, I'm all good now. Thanks for all the help. Oh wait, I didn't get any help.
      Not even a "Hi" for that matter

Comment

Hi!

As you posted and answered your own post 'the same day - today,' one might understand the lack of assistance!
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm glad to see signs of life. I saw that two of my posts had been moved (sorry about posting the wrong place) but still no response. I just thought I'd pout a little bit and see who would come to console me. I'm going to haunt you with questions now since I know you'll answer.

I'm joking, but thanks for getting back to me. I do appreciate it.

Comment

I figured out that if the drive is already mounted in Ubuntu and I log off and then back onto Kubuntu, the drive will stay mounted. If it isn't, then I can't access it and have to go back to Ubuntu to get the data. This is the drive that I plan to put my home folder on so I'm going to have to figure out how to keep it mounted properly. I think I'll be able to use terminal and designate it but haven't tried that yet. I'll keep posting just in case someone finds any of this useful.

Comment

Milk.

Comment

Originally posted by rBGH
                I figured out that if the drive is already mounted in Ubuntu and I log off and then back onto Kubuntu, the drive will stay mounted. If it isn't, then I can't access it and have to go back to Ubuntu to get the data.
                A first question would be: "how is the drive formatted?" If it's a Windoze formatted drive, then it is quite possible that some extra work is/may be required now that you are running Gutsy (7.10).

Can you post your /etc/fstab file for a quick review?

Comment

Permission denied
                  give me a minute.

I don't seem to be able to figure this out, that or there isn't an fstab file.
                  boss@boss-desktop:~$ su /etc/fstab
                  Unknown id: /etc/fstab
                  boss@boss-desktop:~$ sudo/etc/fstab
                  bash: sudo/etc/fstab: No such file or directory
                  boss@boss-desktop:~$

Comment

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                    #
                    # -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
                    #
                    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
                    # Entry for /dev/hda2 :
                    UUID=f9743b45-e43b-429d-8ee5-8d9499ad0c89 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
                    # Entry for /dev/hda1 :
                    UUID=5b42023a-f1aa-47ab-a31d-3e6b8d8d61a4 none swap sw 0 0
                    /dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
                    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
                    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
                    /dev/hdb5 /media/Music ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_CA.UTF-8 0 0
                    /dev/hdb1 /media/Download\040Disk ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_CA.UTF-8 0 0

Comment

The second drive is formated NFTS (Windoze). If your desire is to use this drive for your Linux /home partition, you are going to have to create a /home partition on it, formated as either ext3 or vfat (FAT32). But before you go/consider that route, lets see the space information on your drives.

Open a console shell and type:
                      Code:
                      df -hT
                      Copy and paste the results.

Comment

boss@boss-desktop:~$ df -hT
                        Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                        /dev/hda2 ext3 9.7G 4.9G 4.4G 53% /
                        varrun tmpfs 506M 144K 506M 1% /var/run
                        varlock tmpfs 506M 0 506M 0% /var/lock
                        udev tmpfs 506M 120K 506M 1% /dev
                        devshm tmpfs 506M 0 506M 0% /dev/shm
                        lrm tmpfs 506M 34M 472M 7% /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile
                        /dev/hda5 ext3 137G 35G 96G 27% /media/disk
                        /dev/hdb5 fuseblk 75G 62G 13G 83% /media/Music
                        /dev/hdb1 fuseblk 75G 42G 34G 56% /media/Download Disk
                        boss@boss-desktop:~$

Comment

Originally posted by rBGH
                          boss@boss-desktop:~$ df -hT
                          Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                          /dev/hda2 ext3 9.7G 4.9G 4.4G 53% /
                          /dev/hda5 ext3 137G 35G 96G 27% /media/disk
                          You only have two partitions set up on your first HD. You can reduce the space used on /hda2 by running the following command from a console:
                          Code:
                          sudo ap-get autoclean
                          If you want to free up even more space, type the comand:
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get clean
                          You will, with the first command, probably see your space available go up above 50%. You will definitely see over 50% with the latter command.

With an almost 10G HD (hda), you can setup a third partition for /home on this drive - if you want. You could also reduce the size of your root ( / ) partition to 4G (which is ample if you create a separate /home partion) and create a /home partition out of the rest (you aren't utilizing a swap, so I'll assume you get along fine without one - if you have ample RAM, you don't really need a swap partition).

As you don't now have a separate /home partition, you can determine just how much space within the root ( / ) partion is being used for your home directory, open a console and type:
                          Code:
                          du -hs
                          This will report the amount of diskspace used in your /home directory.

Comment

[img width=400 height=300]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k115/1stGen/Screenshot-1.png[/img]

I have yet to try any of your suggestions. I post this to show that I do have a swap file. I'm not sure why it didn't show up. I'm also not sure why the pic isn't any bigger. It's just almost unreadable. The red sliver on the far right is the swap and it corresponds to the bottom line.
                            I have 4 drives
                            2, 120 gig in a raid array which the partition editor in Linux sees as two separate drives, then I have two IDE drives, one divided in half at 75 gigs each, with both partitions formated as ntfs.

The last drive is the Linux drive, I believe I formated the entire drive as ext3, then I created the partitions for the 138 gigs of storage, 10 gigs for Ubuntu because I was used to windows and it seemed safe, and a swap.

Auto clean? Is that a maintenance procedure that I should do often or a convenience feature for when I want to create additional space?

Comment

Working...
                            X