This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permission Denied

After booting to Kubuntu, I plugged in my USB external drive. I opened Dolphin/Storage Media and clicked the "Mount" box on the right hand side. I got the following message;

fuse:failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied (I know "fuse" is in the group because I checked)

So, how do I get "Permission" to mount this drive. TIA for all help !!!

Oh, and can I delete all files in the root/tmp folder ?? Thanks again.

Re: Permission Denied

Originally posted by LaDeDa
    After booting to Kubuntu, I plugged in my USB external drive. I opened Dolphin/Storage Media and clicked the "Mount" box on the right hand side. I got the following message;

fuse:failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied (I know "fuse" is in the group because I checked)
    Strange - on my installations the USB memory devices just opens a window when I stick them in, asking what you want to do. And eventually an icon is put on the desktop.

It's a bit slow, though - and until it's all done I cannot access the files. If you are on an old, slow PC - try patience

Comment

Exactly. Then I check the "mount" box and I get the error message posted in the original message.

Comment

Exactly. Then I check the "mount" box and I get the error message posted in the original message.
        Why do you want to do that? It is mounted - isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA
          Why do you want to do that? It is mounted - isn't it?
          I may have misunderstood. If this is a drive formatted with NTFS file system (W2000 or later), then in theory it should work this way:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/widows-ntfs-partitions-readwrite-support-made-easy-in-ubuntu-feisty.html

Other places I find that many find this not to work with hotplugging - I've had no luck so far.

Comment

No, the drive isn't mounted. The USB external drive is formatted NTFS, but one of the machines I use it on is Kubuntu only. I don't need to write to the drive. I just copy files from it to folders on the Kubuntu machine. Anyway, even when turned on and ready to go before I start the Kubuntu machine, it will not mount on its own. the only way I've found to mount the drive whether plugged in before or after booting, is through "system settings" > "advanced > "disk & file systems". Works every time and I'm satisfied.
            Thanks for your help.

Comment

No, the drive isn't mounted. The USB external drive is formatted NTFS, but one of the machines I use it on is Kubuntu only. I don't need to write to the drive. I just copy files from it to folders on the Kubuntu machine. Anyway, even when turned on and ready to go before I start the Kubuntu machine, it will not mount on its own. the only way I've found to mount the drive whether plugged in before or after booting, is through "system settings" > "advanced > "disk & file systems". Works every time and I'm satisfied.
              Thanks for your help.
              Did you install and run ntfs configuration tool? It needs to be run for every newly introduced drive, it seems.

If so, are you using the standard Dolphin file manager? Some experience problems with it. You can use any browser, for instance Konqueror. As default it starts as a file browser, just like Dolphin. In some ways I prefer Dolphin (it's simpler for what it does well) - but there are things when I prefer Konqueror.

Comment

Oh, and can I delete all files in the root/tmp folder ??
                You can but I wouldn't. You might find you7r system unusable. Kubuntu needs those files while running and cleans them up on rebooting.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                  Oh, and can I delete all files in the root/tmp folder ??
                  You can but I wouldn't. You might find you7r system unusable. Kubuntu needs those files while running and cleans them up on rebooting.
                  Is this as reboot, or is it after the PC has been switched off?

Comment

Is this as reboot, or is it after the PC has been switched off?
                    Both. Just not when logging out and in again.
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the root/tmp folder.

Comment

Working...
                      X