This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Having Issues installing Gutsy on Laptop

The Alternate CD isn't a LiveCD, so you can't 'test drive Gutsy' with it. You install - period.

When you are at the initial menu, you can press F6 (look at the bottom of the screen for the function key options) which allows you to edit the kernel line. Backspace over the last two items (quiet splash) and press Enter. This should enable you to see the boot messages as the installation procedes. If it's bombing, you should be able to see the last reported message before it does.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      The Alternate CD isn't a LiveCD, so you can't 'test drive Gutsy' with it. You install - period.

When you are at the initial menu, you can press F6 (look at the bottom of the screen for the function key options) which allows you to edit the kernel line. Backspace over the last two items (quiet splash) and press Enter. This should enable you to see the boot messages as the installation procedes. If it's bombing, you should be able to see the last reported message before it does.
      OK, shutting down Laptop...ok, did that....It does show the text, but once it reaches the info part of the alternate disc, the menus only shows up on the external.

Comment

Don't you just live trial-and-error testing?

Try without the external monitor attached (still editing the kernel line to remove the quiet splash options).

Comment

Don't you just live trial-and-error testing?

Try without the external monitor attached (still editing the kernel line to remove the quiet splash options).
          M'kay...yup, everything is still black as night.

Comment

Okay, dibl's How to instructs to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 when you get a black screen during installation. That should get you to a command line prompt. Does it?

Comment

Okay, dibl's How to instructs to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 when you get a black screen during installation. That should get you to a command line prompt. Does it?
              Nope. Just the same black screen. *Update* Breakthrough! Aright, I messed with the VGA settings, and now it shows up on my Laptop screen! I set it ti 1024x768x16 after hitting F6, and now it shows up.

Aright, hopefully this works. Thanks for your time and help.

Comment

Assuming that you will be able to complete the installation, you may still have to reconfigure the xserver. You'll know if that is required, if after successful installation, you reboot and are presented (again) with a black screen. IF that happens, press the Ctrl+Alt+F1 keys, and at the prompt, type:
                Code:
                sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
                You will want to read dibl's post I gave you first. It explains what to do (it isn't difficult).

Comment

Assuming that you will be able to complete the installation, you may still have to reconfigure the xserver. You'll know if that is required, if after successful installation, you reboot and are presented (again) with a black screen. IF that happens, press the Ctrl+Alt+F1 keys, and at the prompt, type:
                  Code:
                  sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
                  You will want to read dibl's post I gave you first. It explains what to do (it isn't difficult).
                  Ok, Will do. Thanks again for your help. I got to get to class now, so installation should finish when I get back.

Comment

You are more than welcome. By helping, are we also helped.

Comment

Working...
                    X