This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to setup ubuntu with Riad

Hello I currently am running a dual boot on a Raid-0 (320GBX2) with XP/Vist and am wanting to add kubuntu amongst other things to some riserfs partitions I created when making my entire layout with PQMAGIC.

anyway..

I looked in the download on the main kubuntu site and grabbed the alternative install which mentioned something about Raid.

I went to install into Text mode and everything went well detecting devices but when it detected disks it did not see my array but it did see my chipset but not in RAID mode.

It was seeing a primary and secondary partition so i did not know they were in RAID-0.

My chipset is the Jmicron series JMB36X.

when looking at their site i noticed the following it felt it might be something to note:

Q10: Can JMicron chip support linux/grub boot?
    Ans: Yes , JMB bios 1.06.53 or above already supported.

at ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/ you can see the linux drivers listed for different distros...

Can anyone get me started here?

x32 > x64 AMD when you = E6400 Duel Core?

Should I use alternate install or basic install with the RAID?

Any grub commands or instructions for setting up this distro with my raid array?

thnx..

Re: Trying to setup ubuntu with Riad

I know there’s been [past] issues with that jmicron chip, yes. They are supposed to be fixed after a certain kernel. And we see booting-configuration“issues” with RAID. It’s outside my area. I’m batting about 50% configuring GRUB for such, which means you could flip a fair coin and do as well. I’m sure we have some people here who know your exact situation. In the meantime, I’ve seen these issues come up at hardwareguys.com, the forum there. Of course, they will coax you to ditch the RAID, saying it has no advantages for most Desktops and is mainly used for servers, and etc., on and on. But they will speak your hardware language and many are now into Linux (various distros, including K/Ubuntu mainly).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Trying to setup ubuntu with Riad

Well after much surfing Two things to note:

FAKERAID controllers. Some of the most commonly-used FAKERAID controllers are:

Adaptec HostRAID ASR
      Highpoint HPT37X
      Highpoint HPT45X
      Intel Software RAID(ICH5/6/7)
      JMicron JMB36x
      LSI Logic MegaRAID SATA 150-2
      NVidia NForce, MCP Series
      Promise FastTrack SATA 150, SX4,SX8,TX2300/2200,TX4300/4200
      Silicon Image Medley 3112
      SNIA DDF1
      VIA Software RAID

As many hardware people know all the supposable RAID Controllers out there are not true RAID controllers. You have to go with someone like 3WARE and spend a minimum of 190.00 to get a real RAID-0 SATA 2 setup.

but besides the point my speeds are faster than a single drive with benchmarks so I am stickign with what I got and am still trying to figure out how to install kubuntu with the FAKERAID..

I found the following wiki which explains the problem.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto

now when i boot up to kubuntu I don thave the same options as ubuntu.

How would these steps be implemented with kubuntu before installtion?

specifically...

Boot the Ubuntu CD and select Start or Install Ubuntu

Go to System > Administration > Software Sources and add the universe software repository.

Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and install the dmraid package.

Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and run

sudo dmraid -ay

Where is this dmraid package it sounds like that's all I need to get going here....

Comment

Working...
      X