X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel questions

Hi all
    Was wondering whether anyone would be kind enough to clarify all things "Kernel" to me!
    I am still making my way from being 100% windows XP based to Kubuntu (Currently 7.04), over the last 6 or so months I now almost exclusively use Kubuntu on the laptop!
    Whenever I have upgraded the Kubuntu install - either via adept "recommendations" or after changing to a different version I see that my GRUB gets longer and longer - can I remove old Kernels that I no longer boot into, and how?
    Also there is (without fail so far) always a kernel that refuses to work with my D-link Wireless card (PCMCIA) and this seems to be the latest out of the 2 (that come out together??!!) - not the memtest version I must add.
    I am using 2.6.20-15-386 currently, but also have 2.6.20-16-386 with which my D-Link card does not work- any ideas why this would be?
    If I want to keep on 20-15-386 then what files do I need to stop Adept updater from updating? There are header files, image files, restricted module files, and one just called linux-386 (complete Linux kerel)! I am sorry if these are very simple questions being asked, but really appreciate any help given as always.

Nic

Re: Kernel questions

For the Kernel, see here; as far as your wifi card goes, you may want to install the ndisgtk, ndiswrapper-common, and ndiswrapper-utils packages. Then, run ndisgtk's graphical interface as root with the command
    Code:
    kdesu ndisgtk
    Insert the driver CD that came with your PCMCIA device, and click the "Install New Driver" button in the ndisgtk window; click the "Location" dropdown menu which should open a new window containing a tree view of your File System. Click 'File System -> media -> cdrom' (or wherever you have your CD-ROM device mounted) and find the Windows driver (it should end with .inf or .INF). Click it and select "Open" on the bottom-right-hand side of the window; if the driver shows up in the dropdown menu, click "Install". That should install the driver for your card.

Edit: I'm not really sure why your D-Link device works with the old kernel, but not the new; I guess that's why (as the link explains) *buntu leaves the old kernel intact - just in case the new one doesn't work for you.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082556.0
      Rog131 How-To: removing unnecessary kernels
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks guys,
        That clears things up a bit.
        The one bit that I still need clarifying if you could be so kind is that answer to

"If I want to keep on 20-15-386 then what files do I need to stop Adept updater from updating? There are header files, image files, restricted module files, and one just called linux-386 (complete Linux kernel)!"

Looking at Adept Manager there are lots of things that can be updated, but selecting "all" would try to update the Kernel again!! I want the stay fresh with my program and dependancy files, but would like to do this (if at all possible) without the need to change Kernel.

Many thanks

Nic

Comment

Update!
          I think I realise why only certain versions of the kernels work with the D-Link card. Could it be possible that the drivers from these are only found on the kernels that have the restricted modules available? The restricted module numbers certainly correspond with the working Kernel version that supports the card. I have attached (hopefully!) a screenshot showing the relevant kernels etc so you can see what I mean...
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X