This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External Wireless Cards

Hey all, after receiving a lot of help on these forums I generally accepted not being able to get my internal wireless card to function.
    I'll keep my eye out for some new solutions, but in the meantime I'm planning to get an external usb hookup going.

So can anyone recommend an external card that will work fine under kubuntu? I'm on a toshiba pro a200 satellite laptop if taht helps. Bonus points if it doesn't break my bank account!

Re: External Wireless Cards

Atheros based chipset will work. I have a Netgear WG511T - on the box it indicated Atheros chipset too. It will work on Linux and 'BSD' systems
    Kubuntu<br />FreeBSD 8.1<br />OpenBSD 4.7<br />Meego

Comment

The linksys wusb cards are a little fiddly, but they work. I've got two.

Comment

Thanks for those suggestions.

It turned out my roommate had a linksys wireless-g adapter so I didn't even have to go out and buy one. Using the original driver disk (I new my luck was changing when he was actually able to find this at the bottom of his closet!) and ndiswrapper I was able to get it working!

So ... hurrah ... I am now posting this from my living room rather than being chained to an ethernet cord in my bedroom.

One final issue someone might be able to help with: after suspending my computer the adapter is no longer recognized. If I restart it works automatically. Is there something I can modify so that the wireless automatically detects after suspend?

Comment

What I found from googling was the suggestion to add the driver to my etc/default/acpi-support file under the MODULES and the MODULES_WHITELIST

I tried adding both ndiswrapper and the name of the driver to these lists but it has not helped the suspend issue.

suggestions?

Comment

This is interesting.

After trying the above, I checked out the command ndiswrapper -l and saw that the name of the driver is 'p54usb' , not 'wusb54g' - which was the name of the driver I installed off the windows disk.

I added 'p54usb' to my modules whitelist, rebooted, and tried suspending. Coming back from suspension, I got a brief message that said some like "reading prism 54 usb failed" .... but the wireless adapter was still recognized! I had to reconnect to my network, but aside from that I'm good.

It is interesting that the first message I got was negative, but the result of the operation was positive! Well, I'll have to try it after school again to make sure it's alright and not just a one-time thing, but, for now, success.

Comment

Working...
            X