This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alt-Codes (ASCII Codes) in Kubuntu/Linux

With as many keys as are present on a US-layout keyboard, there are still some keys missing (the "cent" symbol, the "degree" symbol, various foreign currency symbols, etc). In a Microsoft Windows environment, one gets around this limitation by using the "Alt key codes" (or ASCII codes). For example <Alt>0128 produces the Euro symbol and <Alt>0162 produces the "cent" symbol.

I have searched this site and Google. Either I'm using the wrong search terms or it's just not possible in Linux. So, I ask the question:

Is there a way to enable the "Alt key codes" or "ASCII codes" in Linux? If so, how? Thanks.

Ernie Grossmann<br />Opening doors, closing Windows.......<br />AMD Athlon X2<br />Asus K8, 2 GB PC 3200 RAM<br />Using Kubutu 10.10

Re: Alt-Codes (ASCII Codes) in Kubuntu/Linux

Good Question. Never thought about those. I'll see if I can find anything. Hopefully someone already knows.

Comment

Don't know if you ever ran across this and I personally don't think it answers the question completely, but still interesting reading.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/mis...scii-code.html

Update: Still haven't found anything relating to the actual question. But I have found out that my keyboard is actually US-International instead of US-Standard. Based on the fact that I have the modifier key AltGr. Never knew what that was for. I do now. Changed my layout to US-International and know have access to many characters. é©€óö«»øµñb°, etc., etc,. The only draw back is you have to use that key to use the native {' "} key.

Comment

[Solved] Re: Alt-Codes (ASCII Codes) in Kubuntu/Linux

Well, I think I solved it on my own. Moonrise got me going in the right direction when he mentioned his International keyboard.

These are all typed with the right <Alt> key: ° ¢ ÷ ³£ € ¼ ½ ¾

I modified the "US English - International" section of the "/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/us" file. I personally don't need the accented keys, so I removed the "dead" keys -- and have full use of my keyboard. Plus, I can now get those special characters I need.

Thanks!

Ernie Grossmann<br />Opening doors, closing Windows.......<br />AMD Athlon X2<br />Asus K8, 2 GB PC 3200 RAM<br />Using Kubutu 10.10

Comment

What did you remove to make the "dead"keys not? Got the file and the correct section. What is removed? Thanks!

Never Mind - got it . Just copied the Standard Settings over to the counterpart in the International section. Great!!! Good post. Was able to get the basic symbols I use. Luckily I had the AltGr key. Made things easier.

Comment

Working...
          X