This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankly whats the best Distro

I'm new to Linux and I got Kubuntu. Now I'm looking for the best distro and am seeking your suggestions....

I'm looking at openSUSE 10.3, Kubuntu 7.10, Linux Mint, Freespire, Mandirva 2008, Sabayon... Please dont take this in the wrong sense. btw I only use my PC for basic operations and am a novice in Linux terms.Thank you very much

Re: Frankly whats the best Distro

First af all welcome to the club
    Frankly there is no "best" distro.

As a novice you maybe have seen the different software packaging types. rpm is the Red Hat format (correst me if I am wrong ) and is the standard that suse, mandriva, etc use. The .deb is the debian format and is standard for Mint, Kubuntu, etc.

Sabayon uses the geentoo format and if you are a novice I would not suggest sabayon. It is great and stable and extremely configurable to your system. But..... you would have a very steep learning curve before you understand the system. You see a Linux disro is not equal to another Linux distro. Sabayon, although making the installation of a geentoo system fairly easy. It is still for either experts or those with a lot of time and patience.

So all other things being equal I think it is a matter of the package format. deb, rpm or the geentoo (can remember the name of the format, sorry). Personally I find the deb format and its package managers the easiest and fastest as far as installing and eventually removing apps. is concerned..

There is another very important factor. The forums. I have found this forum to be the most helpful for novices. And you, as all of use here have in the past will want friendly people helping you.
    So if you already have Kubuntu stick with it. Mint is great but essentially Kubuntu.
    Suse and mandriva or pclinux are fantastic but rpm based so not in my choice list for my main distro.

I hope this helps you in your discisions
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The Convenient Fiction of Distributions
      http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...20-26-OP-CY-SW
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

If I were you, I would go with a gnome based distribution rather than KDE. Kubuntu and others just are not keeping up or getting the support that Ubuntu and others get. Before you go to the trouble of learning the KDE idiosyncrasies, I would switch. I am in the process of building a new computer. When it is done, I am going to try out a few gnome distros and then switch my other computers one by one.

Comment

So all other things being equal I think it is a matter of the package format. deb, rpm or the geentoo (can remember the name of the format, sorry). Personally I find the deb format and its package managers the easiest and fastest as far as installing and eventually removing apps. is concerned..

There is another very important factor. The forums. I have found this forum to be the most helpful for novices. And you, as all of use here have in the past will want friendly people helping you.
          So if you already have Kubuntu stick with it. Mint is great but essentially Kubuntu.
          I agree with Fintan here. I've tried all "Flavours" of Ubuntu and a few non-Buntus (puppy and Elive), puppy being the only one that has a different package system. I actually liked what they all offered, I just preferred Kubuntu more, mostly because of this Forum. Again it will come down to what you feel comfortable with.

Comment

Partition one hard drive in 10-15 GB blocks, install 3 or 4 distros or more, and try them that way, in multi-boot. Not a big deal. A lot of us here do it. Nothing is permanent, anyway, and things change, like 6-month version upgrades in K/Ubuntu. You can do fresh CD installs for upgrades. Just arrange things so you protect/backup your personal /home data. I thought MEPIS was cool, as another distro to add to your drive.

Dual/multi-boot:

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Bigpond, home: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/
            (see the GRUB page)
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
            X