Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie/Complete Idiot's/Dummy's Guide to Dual booting XP - Kubuntu 7.04 Laptop

I should probably be the last person to create a post on this, but i did it with my limited knowledge and hence i am uniquely qualified to write this.

I started playing around with a Ubuntu 6.06 Live CD then moved on to Kubuntu 7.04 Live CD for a couple of months. I finally got the courage to go for it and was successful!!!

I refer to a lot of sources here and i thank all the authors.

The below steps describe how to dual boot Kubuntu 7.04 on a single hard drive XP laptop. I am sure there are a lot of detailed and perfect way to do it and they are documented too. This is how a Newbie/Complete Idiot/Dummy (like yours turly) can do it.
    Steps :
    1) Take a backup of all the important files from your Laptop on DVD or External harddrive. (Absolutely no shortcuts here. Do it.)
    2) Run the Disk Deframent tool in Windows XP on your Harddrive.
    3) From Windows download and burn GPartEd Live CD from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
    4) Watch the video 3 and 4 from this link http://www.linux.com/articles/114157
    5) Shrink the XP partition and create the '/' (5 GB) , Linux-swap (twice the size of your RAM) and '/home' partitions (Linux storage space you want) as explained in the video.
    6) From Windows download and burn the Kubuntu 7.04 Live CD.
    7) Reboot with the Kubuntu 7.04 Live CD. Click Install.
    8 ) Initial screens and questions are simple enough. The tricky part is when the Partitions screen pops up. Pick the Manual option. Point the '/', Linux-swap and '/home' partitions on this screen as you created in point 5. The '/' and Linux-Swap partitions will be re-formatted again.
    9) Proceed with the rest of the installation.
    10) Restart the Laptop without the LiveCD.
    11) At Bios level you will get option to boot Kubuntu (First option) or XP (Last option).
    12) Thats it. Your are done.

If you are a beginner like me you will have a lot of luck and get to here without any problems.

Disclaimer : This is step by step what i did. It worked for me. I can only wish you luck with this. I dont take any resposibility if anything goes wrong ;-)

Re: Newbie/Complete Idiot's/Dummy's Guide to Dual booting XP - Kubuntu 7.04 Lapt

I don't dual boot, but from what I know and have read, this looks very good! Not only that, but this is the simplest and easiest to understand guide I've read on the subject; nice work

Edit: If anybody's interested, here's a link to GParted's documentation on resizing partitions (in case you have a slow connection or would like a step-by-step guide).
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: Newbie/Complete Idiot's/Dummy's Guide to Dual booting XP - Kubuntu 7.04 Lapt

Nice job, Rajanish -- looks right to me!

Comment

Yep -- Good job Rajanish.

I noticed you included the subtle point, in Step 8, that
        "The '/' and Linux-Swap partitions will be re-formatted again."

A lot of people get confused when the installer insists upon doing the formatting again on those two partitions (even though they already did it in GParted). Good that you caught this and are pointing it out to new users here!
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X