This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No permission to open my external hdd

It isn't gone, and yes, you don't want to do anything in Disk & Filesystems. Have you rebooted after making the change to the fstab file, and then unplugged and replugged in the USB HD?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I don't want to do anything unless it absolutely has to be done. I think that's what may have got me into issue with this before... (I as looking at the options, and I made a change, and when I did I could see the hard drive, but it wouldn't let me access it, now I can't even see it. Save for in the Disk & Filesystem area. )

But I have restarted the computer, had the external unplugged when I did, then plugged it in, turned it on and... then it came up with a window recognizing something was plugged in, it gave me the options to: open in new window, email or do nothing... Open in new window doesn't do anything.
      [img width=400 height=109]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2286/xzerorain4wm.gif[/img]

Comment

First, I appreciate your concerns. Second, what's going on isn't normal. The system is seeing the USB when it's connected, as it prompted you 'what do want to do' when it was plugged in.

Okay. Open a console shell. Type the following exactly:
        Code:
        sudo fdisk -l
        (that's a lower case L) and copy/paste the results. Follow that with:
        Code:
        pg /etc/fstab
        (there is a space after pg) and copy/paste the results.

Comment

ok, here's what "sudo fdisk -l" gives me (I've still got the external HD on.):
          Disk /dev/sda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes
          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12161 cylinders
          Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
          /dev/sda1 * 1 10806 86799163+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
          /dev/sda2 12130 12161 257040 88 Linux plaintext
          /dev/sda3 12124 12129 48195 1c Hidden W95 FAT32 (LBA)
          /dev/sda4 10807 12123 10578802+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
          /dev/sda5 10807 12123 10578771 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320070836224 bytes
          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
          Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
          /dev/sdb1 1 38912 312560608+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
          And for pg /etc/fstab:
          # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
          #
          # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
          proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
          # /dev/sda5
          UUID=e7c1d714-308f-4123-9643-c5351a18b22e / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
          # /dev/sda1
          UUID=C0D8DC0FD8DC0616 /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,n ouser 0 1
          # /dev/sda3
          UUID=472E-0027 /media/sda3 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 1
          /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
          # /dev/sdb1 /media auto users,atime,auto,ro,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
          [img width=400 height=109]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2286/xzerorain4wm.gif[/img]

Comment

You're patience is a trait that will serve you well.

Can I safely assume that your USB HD is the only USB device you have (currently) that is connected to your system? If the answer is 'yes,' then we can try the following.

Open a console shell and type the following exactly:
            Code:
            sudo mk /media/USB_HD
            then while you still have the console shell open, type:
            Code:
            kdesu kate /etc/fstab
            so you can edit the fstab file again. Copy and paste the following to the end of the file:
            Code:
            /dev/sdb1 /media/USB_HD ntfs-3g defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007 0 2
            Save and exit Kate. Reboot system.

Comment

I have a usb mouse connected right now... But other than that, the usb HD is all. This wouldn't affect it would it?

And I greatly appreciate all the time you're taking to help me with this problem.

Comment

The mouse isn't an issue. If you had other USB HDs then that would matter. Go ahead with what I said in the previous post.

Comment

Nope, yet another no go...
                  All it gives me is:
                  sudo: mk: command not found

Comment

My bad! :P Been at the 'puter to long.

The command is mkdir, so type:
                    Code:
                    sudo mkdir /media/USB_HD
                    Sorry!

Comment

Ok, rebooted and nothing has changed... Well there's a folder there, but nothing in it, the usb HD doesn't even give me options anymore...

Comment

Don't get to frazzled yet. Your USB HD is safe and secure. Nothing that I've had you do has affected it physically. I've asked one of our other members to take a look at this to see if he can spot something I've missed. Watch for posts from integr8e and/or dibl.

Comment

Long as it doesn't get wiped, I'll be happy. ( I haven't got everything on it entirely backed up. )

But if you need any more information, just ask and I'll do my best to provide it.

Comment

dibl's going to check this thread out. I know I'm missing something simple (simple things are the hardest things).

Comment

I took a quick skim of the thread. The basic problem with these USB drives, formatted as NTFS, is that the USB bus "polls" the devices, and their conventional ID (i.e. /dev/sdx) can change. So, the strategy is to nail them down with a UUID that you can use in /etc/fstab, in lieu of the /dev/sdx designation.

The other issue is, you need to install the ntfs-3g package (I think you've done this) and you need to add your user to the "fuse" group (or vice versa).

So, here's guidance that I wrote:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084679.0

and here's guidance that a smarter guy than me wrote:

http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....stab?s=tacking

and here's an example -- my own /etc/fstab file, where near the bottom you can find a NTFS-formatted USB memory stick, formerly known as /dev/sde1, is mounted with its UUID number:

Code:
                              # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
                              # Entry for /dev/sda1 :
                              UUID=ee04ff55-8e21-4bd9-a4a5-b4fb5319e2cf / xfs nouser,noatime,nodiratime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,logbufs=8 0 1
                              # Entry for /dev/sda2 :
                              UUID=1970710f-1a72-469d-8503-8e5857270dc3 /boot ext3 nouser,defaults,noatime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                              # Entry for /dev/sda3 :
                              UUID=e0f77c8d-42dd-47e7-99fa-ef67297ec346 /home xfs nouser,noatime,nodiratime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,logbufs=8 0 2
                              # Entry for /dev/sdf1 :
                              UUID=c23ed838-955e-4407-972e-e179eb9f7f1c /media/sde1 reiserfs nouser,defaults,noatime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                              # Entry for /dev/sdf3 :
                              UUID=0ca9869d-4fa6-4112-b7cc-41ea558c8104 /media/sde3 xfs nouser,noatime,nodiratime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,logbufs=8 0 2
                              # Entry for /dev/sdb2 :
                              UUID=ae781af5-084d-4b6d-b533-1adc315e3c01 /media/sdb2 xfs nouser,noatime,nodiratime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,logbufs=8 0 2
                              # Entry for /dev/sdc1 :
                              UUID=92c0453f-2a35-40d5-8013-b8870ed66127 /media/sdc1 xfs nouser,defaults,noatime,nodiratime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,logbufs=8 0 2
                              # Entry for /dev/sdc2 :
                              UUID=f4e36b39-af7d-475c-8990-b2093f558295 /media/sdc2 xfs nouser,defaults,noatime,nodiratime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,logbufs=8 0 2
                              # Entry for /dev/sdc3 :
                              UUID=eba33247-0dbb-482c-9351-81505a953864 /media/sdc3 xfs nouser,defaults,noatime,nodiratime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,logbufs=8 0 2
                              # Entry for /dev/sdd2 :
                              UUID=52c93527-472d-4a92-b294-55232d07110f /media/sdd2 xfs nouser,defaults,noatime,nodiratime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,logbufs=8 0 2
                              # Entry for /dev/sdd3 :
                              UUID=b9fd36b8-006b-4b63-b0e7-2f4c63ed364c /media/sdd3 xfs nouser,defaults,noatime,nodiratime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,logbufs=8 0 2
                              # Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
                              UUID=d3ef7c0f-c948-4fcc-9618-102c7a4ffc27 none swap sw 0 0
                              # Entry for /dev/sde1 :
                              UUID=A8FC3435FC33FC5E /media/NTFSTICK ntfs-3g nouser,defaults,atime,exec,force 0 2
                              /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                              /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                              Hope this helps!

Comment

Alright, I'm almost there, all I have to do is boot into windows, safely eject the usb HD to clean the log file and then I should be able to mount it in Kubuntu.

Or atleast that's what it says...
                                sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /media/USB_HD
                                $LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 1)
                                Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Operation not supported
                                Mount is denied because NTFS logfile is unclean. Choose one action:
                                Boot Windows and shutdown it cleanly, or if you have a removable
                                device then click the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
                                taskbar notification area before disconnecting it.
                                Or
                                Run ntfsfix version 1.13.1 on Linux unless you have Vista.
                                Or
                                Mount the NTFS volume with the 'ro' option in read-only mode.
                                Thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X