This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone Issues

Gooday all, I have got nearly everything sorted now, printer and all. However my puter cant see my phone when I plug it in to one of the USB ports. Sure this will be simple, any ideas? Regards, James.

Re: Phone Issues

It depends on what the phone is. I had to jump through several hoops to get my Razr to connect.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Nothin special about it. Just a samsung A701. Had to load a disc for windoze, but that doesn't work for Linux.

Comment

Any one have any ideas for this. Thanks in advance.

Comment

All I know is when I installed my Razr on XP, I had to install it as a modem... Maybe you have to do something similar? Don't quote me on that though... I'm not very good with Linux, one of the more experienced users should be able to help you though.
          [img width=400 height=109]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2286/xzerorain4wm.gif[/img]

Comment

Is this a PDA style phone? If so, check into kitchensync or possibly kpilot.

Mike

Comment

OK, I'll expose my ignorance ....

Good news -- there's a program called "Moto4Lin" for Motorola phones, like my Razr V3. It's in the standard repos.

Bad news -- I spent a weekend trying to make it work, and never got any further than reading parts of the configuration. So, that's one thing I can do with Win XP in my VMWare Player window. :P

Comment

Thanks Master dibl

However this is a samsung A701, which from my googling is a PDA style phone, I believe.

Mike

Comment

Yep -- I just thought I'd share my tiny little crumb of pseudo-knowledge on the subject, in case anyone comes searching for cell phone support. :P

Comment

To the best of my knowledge it's just an ordinary phone. It hasn't got one of those touch screen thingys , nup, just a phone.

Comment

I note your phone has bluetooth (at least so google & friends (telstra ) tell me). Have you tried connecting it to your computer by bluetooth, there are a number of packages for this in the repos (actually I think they are installed by default). I have used bluetooth to connect to my phone (a nokia, non-pda) and have been able to use it to transfer files and copy the contacts list across. Probably other things too, but this is all I wanted/tried to do.

As for usb, what sort of features are you hoping to use? It may be possible just to mount it as a drive if you simply want to copy files across (and maybe the contacts list).

Comment

As for usb, what sort of features are you hoping to use? It may be possible just to mount it as a drive if you simply want to copy files across (and maybe the contacts list).
                        Thanks, yeah, that is all I want to do. Maybe new ring tone or something like that. My comp doesn't have a bluetooth receiver.

Comment

I take it when you plug it into usb that no dialog box pops up about it. What happens if you run
                          Code:
                          lsusb
                          in the command line while its plugged in (this command lists usb devices). Also while its connected can you see it in kmenu>system settings>advanced>disk and filesystems.

Also, when you want to quote a post just click on the 'quote' button in the top right of that post and it will take you to the reply post page with the quote already set up for you.

If you have a friend with a usb bluetooth dongle it may be worth seeing if you can borrow it for a day and try it out. If it works then you could pick up one for yourself (I think they are only around $20, but that may be wrong). I won't go so far as to recommend buying one untested however as I have no experience using them (my laptop has built-in bluetooth).

Comment

Marshallbanana, thanks for your response. That's right, no dialog box.
                            First, I ran that command and yes it's there.
                            Second, looking in disk and file systems it's not there.
                            Thanks for the tip on the quote, I will get right next time.
                            I enquired at my local computer shop and I can get a bluetooth dongle there for around $50oz.
                            Given that it appears when I run the command, I would assume that there is a way to make it talk to the machine, your thoughts?
                            Thanks again, James.

Comment

Firstly I just thought a disclaimer is in order: I actually don't know how to mount usb devices by the command line (mine have always worked straight off or appeared in disk & filesystems). That said...

The following thread contains a number of common commands that may be useful
                              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=145135
                              Also, could you post exactly what the results of lsusb were.

Given that it was listed I imagine this should be do-able, we just have to figure out how (or hope someone who knows their **** comes along and tells us).

Comment

Working...
                              X