This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am getting some error while closing the windows from storage devices

i am getting an error stating that the bookmarks cannot be saved in home an it is asking to rectify the error how can i rectify the problem

Re: i am getting some error while closing the windows from storage devices

I get that error when I try to close Dolphin after doing any file management work. I've ignored it for now because i haven't had time to look into it. So, I'll be interested, too, in any responses you get here.

Edit: This BTW is in 7.10.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That's a Dolphin bug. You can fix it for exactly 1 boot session by going to the hidden folder ".kde" in your /home/brohitv directory, and changing permissions of that folder (.kde) and all sub-directories and files to yourself. But the next boot session, Dolphin will change its bookmarks file back to root permission and give you the error again.

I'm sticking with Konqueror for file management tasks.

Comment

dibl: "I'm sticking with Konqueror for file management tasks."

Me, too, now.

Dolphin seems to try too hard to make things easy/transparent and in so doing, makes certain tasks seem clumsy or outside user control. But, then, I haven't had time to really look at it; just time to quickly use it.

BTW, brohitv, didn't mean to crash your topic here; but then, now you know you are not the only one getting this error.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          That's a Dolphin bug.
          Actually, no it isn't. See Jucato's comment on the 'real' problem in his kdesu dolphin changes bookmark permissions comment.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ahhh -- yes, that's right, thanks for reminding me, Snowhog. I didn't mean to cast aspersions unfairly. However, I'm sticking with my "fix" (i.e. just run Konqueror and don't worry whose fault the bug is).

Comment

Ahh, the 'avoidance' solution.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X