X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Gutsy's boots very slow

Hello,

I've installed Kubuntu Gutsy, but it boots very slow.
    I did a search and removed the quiet commandline from grub. But my screen stays black and i can't see were the system is 'hanging'.

What can I do next?

Grtz Erik

Re: Gutsy's boots very slow

Are you sure it's hanging? I'm assuming it finishes and you get to the GUI desktop?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, it finishes and gets to the GUI. But it takes 3 minutes to get there. Measured from pressing enter in the grub menu to the login screen.I don't know what is taking it so long. Therefore i called it "hanging" between the two read signs.

BTW: I've installed Gutsy on my ASUS A4ka laptop. It has a Mobile AMD Athlon64 3200+ Processor. And runs @ 2000MHz. And it has 1 gig mem.

Comment

And does this 'slow booting' happen everytime you boot?

Comment

Yes, when I do a restart or a cold boot. Even a fresh install doesn't make a difference.

Comment

Try booting recovery mode, and see how long it takes to get to the command line prompt. Record any errors you may observe that are a cause of delay. When it is at the command line prompt, type "exit" and then note how long it takes to present the login prompt. Let us know where the delay occurs.

Comment

Ok, Think I'll boot with recovery everytime.

From Grub Bootmenu to command prompt: 23 seconds. No errors
              From Command prompt to login screen: 14 seconds. No errors

Tried to boot the normal way right again. From grub to login: 2 minutes 50 seconds.

But I did notice one thing. When I boot the normal way, right after pressing enter a line comes in for a seconds and says:

Starting up ...
              [ 8.887875] PCI: failed to allocate mem resource #10:4000000@0 for 0000:02:01.0

Comment

Originally posted by WR6X
                Starting up ...
                Before you decide to simply boot into recovery mode and start your system that way, it would still be advisable to try and determine what is 'hanging' during normal boot.

What peripheral hardware do you have? (external devices)
                Where they all connected when you performed your initial install of Gutsy?
                Are they all connected now?

Comment

I was just kidding about starting up in recovery mode.

The only external device using during boot and installation is my Wireless mouse. Nothing else. The mouse was connected during installation. And is still connected.

Comment

@ first I thought the problem was in Kubuntu. So I installed Ubuntu. But the problem was the same.

After a little more searching I found the answer. (Thought it might be useful for others)
                    I did the following:

I changed /etc/usplash.conf to the resolution wich is given in my screen preferences.

Saved it and in the terminal I typed: sudo update-initramfs -u

Then reboot and the login screen appeared in 47 secs.

Thanx for your replies guys.

Erik.

Comment

Originally posted by WR6X

Starting up ...
                      I've been looking at that "error" message for 15 months now, ever since I first installed Edgy on this platform. It's a "nothing burger" -- Linux kernel devs say it is an Intel design issue, and Intel designers say Linux should handle it, and nobody shows any sign of doing anything about it. It causes exactly zero problems that I've ever heard of or detected.

Good job on sorting out your slow boot! Yes, we need to remember how you did that -- others will probably have the same problem. If you want to write a "How to fix slow boot problem" for our "How To" section under "Documents", please feel free.

Comment

Yes, a How To would be appreciated. I'd like to know what prompted you to look at the usplash.conf file as the source of your problem?

Comment

Well, Like I said, I kept searching. It's not my idea to take a look @ usplash.conf. I read about a similair problem on the ubuntuforum.

So I gave it a try.

I do want to write a how to or something like that. But I don't want to show with someone else's idea.
                          I'll think of something.

Comment

It is not 'wrong' to cite, quote, or include the link to another site/post when putting a How To together. It's done all the time. Claiming the information is yours alone would be. :-X

Comment

True, I'll write a how to and will post it.

Including a link.... it's a dutch forum. So not readable for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X