X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU overload!!!

Hi My name is matt and i am a windows aholic

any who twice now I have gotten an error that says "CPU overload sound server failure" it sounds pretty bad but my pc keeps running.
    I have an AMD Athalon 64 3200+ @2GHz and 1gig of ram.
    I didn't have my headphones on at the time so I Don't know if there was a sound played.

On another note I know there is a special Kubuntu for the AMD 64 but this isn't a 64 bit operating system is it?

Re: CPU overload!!!

The error you're receiving may be deceptive. Make sure your machine is not overheating! Your CPU runs fairly warm under normal conditions (see AMD specs on their website) so it very well might be running too warm under certain conditions (like playing a graphic intensive game).

There is a 64bit version of Kubuntu that you can download and install if you wish but the 32bit version will work just fine in your machine. You don't really need the 64bit version.

Comment

Thanks
      I'm getting the error at startup only so I'm guessing the processor isn't overheating but for s&g's is there a fan control / temperature monitor for linux similar to speedfan for windows?

Comment

The packages you need are lm-sensors and fancontrol... takes a bit of setting up but as long as your hardware is supported (likely), it should work. If you want a graphical monitor, try ksensors.

Comment

Thanks James I did the lm-sensors last night and it seems to be working I found the cool 'n quiet driver on Asus's website but I'm still not real knowledgeable about installing things so I'm gonna look for a tutorial or something.... maybe just some tortilla chips mmmmm.... salsa

So it happened again but I wrote down the wrong info I took a screenshot of it but since I can't quickly figure out (ipatient much) how to post pictures I'll just type it
          window title Error-artsme
          sound server fatal error
          cpu overlaod, aborting
          [ ok ]
          I'm not worried about it i'm guessing that I probably just need the right drivers for the sound card I'll do some more poking around at the asus site.

Comment

funny story, true story
            So this same error message has been popping up alot now I started doing a web search for "artsme" because that's what the tittle says. Apparently the message box isn't big enough becasue what it actually says is "Error -artsmessage" anybody have a guess as to what this might be. I am using the onboard soundcard on my Asus K8V-SE-deluxe and the sound works.

Comment

Don't hold me to this if your computer catches fire, but I highly doubt this has anything to do with CPU cooling.

My system ran fine under 6.06.1. When I upgraded to 6.10, I had many issues so I gave up and installed from scratch, thinking the issues were related to the upgrade procedure...

Actually, now my system is worse - getting the same error you are. Before I sacked my upgraded system, that message only seemed to show when a KDE app wanted to make a sound. I turned off the sound server, which is supposed to turn off arts, but it still froze the system for several seconds, for example, when I played the little KDE game "kolf" and hit the ball.

Now, that message pops up all the time. Even during the install process from the liveCD that error kept cropping up. It started happening every few seconds, making it near impossible to do anything. I again went and turned off the KDE sound system, to no avail. I actually wrote a bash script loop at the command prompt that would killall -KILL both artsd and the message dialog! At first, I had it run those two kill commands and then wait 2 seconds and then kill again, but that wasn't good enough. I had to actually have them kill continuously in order to have the install not freeze constantly and it would sometimes miss, so to speak, and artsd would load and run long enough to cause the freeze, but I stayed ahead of it for the most part. Of course this slowed the install process down somewhat, but I did get it installed.

Here is another thread here about the same issue, also with no good solutions:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=9540.0

Does anyone know how I can at least prevent artsd from loading? I suppose I could grep /etc and see if any text files load it...Is it loaded as a module? Does KDE load it? Why does KDE load it even if arts is turned off in the control center?

I know from my 6.06.1 to 6.10 upgrade that the sound drivers aren't likely to be the issue, as I assume the drivers were upgraded as well, and, I watched movies and played non-KDE games and such just fine.

Here is what lspci says about my sound card:

Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller

I assume that xubuntu and kubuntu use the same alsa setup. I just happen to have a second computer with less ram running xubuntu - same sound chipset/same motherboard, etc. (but, ironically, with a faster processor), and no problems at all with freezing/extreme bouts of CPU usage. Sound works fine in games, to watch movies, etc. I'm utterly convinced at this point that KDE and arts specifically are the issue.

Comment

Join the club on this error. I generally run boinc on my computer as well so having something taking all my CPU cycles made running the computer almost pointless. So i nuked the disc and reinstalled 6.06 ( works well again). All, this on a Celery 2Ghz systems thats ran 5.10 and 6.06 no probs.
                Every time i looked everyone was complaining about this same problem but no answer from anyone on what to do. So id suggest the downgrade.

On another note i just brought a Core 2 Duo and cant get Kubuntu working so im busy going through the forums with same problem again. many many complaints but no solutions. Wish me luck lol. Id hate to have to change distros but my top computer not running really messes things up.
                Ok winge over i dont pay for Kubuntu so if i have problems there my problems.

Good luck with artsd and if you find a solution post a wiki page or something so we can find the solution.

Comment

Working...
                X