X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mozilla-thunderbird vncserver

Hi,

Probably a typical newbie question, but here goes...

Locally, I start thunderbird (of firefox) with no problem, it all works and displays fine.

Remotely, I ssh into the box and start a vncserver (~$ vncserver -geometry 1900x864 -depth 32)

Then I connect (using RealVNC) and the display is fine. However, if I try and start thunderbird (or firefox) it seems to initialise but then.... nothing. it just dies?

If I do look at the processes (~$top), the process mozilla-thunderbird (or for firefox firefox-bin) jumps to the top and then vanishes.

any ideas anyone?

thanks

i

Dell Latitude C600
    (Dual boot with XP Pro)

Re: mozilla-thunderbird vncserver

Just had a look at the post "application loads and disappears" and so i ran ~$mozilla-firefox locally and remotely.... here's what i got.

LOCAL (res 1024x786)

ian@inux:~$ mozilla-thunderbird
    selected locale: en-US
    observe:
    nothing here: null
    observe called
    FILE: [xpconnect wrapped nsIFile]DOUBLE-CLICK: 250 --> -1 THRESHOLD: 8 --> -1

thunderbird loads..

REMOTE (res 1900x864)

ian@inux:~$ mozilla-thunderbird
    selected locale: en-US
    observe:
    nothing here: null
    observe called
    FILE: [xpconnect wrapped nsIFile]DOUBLE-CLICK: 250 --> -1 THRESHOLD: 8 --> -1 /u sr/lib/mozilla-thunderbird/run-mozilla.sh: line 159: 15980 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}
    ian@inux:~$

thunderbird never happens!

anyone ever had this kind of problem before?

i

Comment

Re: mozilla-thunderbird vncserver

I'm using Kubuntu Desktop AMD64 with Ubuntu LAMP server and getting the same thing. Using VNC4. Haven't tried TightVNC instead. This seems to happen with all versions of firefox including Firefox32, Iceweasel32 and Firefox64. This is really strange. On older versions of Mandrake this wasn't a problem. I can still use Konqueror so it isn't a dealbreaker, but can't use flash on Konquerer 64bit (well if you can I'm not going through that crap again), so it isn't completely a solution for some off-site web debugging.

This isn't enough of a problem that I'm going to spend hours troubleshooting, but if simply switching to tightVNC fixes the problem, I'm all ears or other quick fix. Strange that it works fine under a normal X session. I've never seen anything like this before.

Comment

Working...
      X