X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burn .m4a Audio CD

OK, some pertinant information:

I am running Kubuntu Gutsy.
    I am able to play unencrypted .m4a music files without incident using Amarok.
    I am UNABLE to burn the same .m4a files to an Audio CD (tried K3b, and Nero Linux).
    The Error I get from K3b (Nero doesn't even bother with errors) is:

Unable to handle the following files due to an unsupported format:
    You may manually convert these audio files to wave using another application supporting the audio format and then add the wave files to the K3b project.
    It seems a little unreasonable to expect someone to convert audio files every time they want to burn a CD. There has to be a way to burn .m4a natively in K3b (or any other burning software in KDE for that matter). Anyone have any tips for getting any (but preferably keb) KDE burning software to handle m4a?

And follow up question:
    Although I understand why support can't be included WITH KDE, why is it so difficult to add burn support for one of the most common music formats available? I have been scouring this forum, the ubuntu forum, and generic google searches for about an hour and a half. The most productive answer I have found so far is "Quit using m4a and convert them all to something else."

Thanks in advance.

Re: Burn .m4a Audio CD

Apparently there is an app called Lsongs which will work if you also install the package faad

But with K3b I believe the answer is no.
    As for why there is no support, basically linux users cannot access the iTMS (even if they did want to, which given the widespread objection to drm in the community is unlikely) and so never come across m4a files. Because noone ever uses them, noone bothers to add support for them. Also given that they are drm'ed it is a huge task to decrypt and then add support for them.
    If the format were suddenly to become used by anyone but apple support would soon follow, or alternatively if apple released itunes from linux that could also do the trick. In the meantime support will remain poor because your regular linux user just never comes across m4a files (I know I never have).

[In fack the Ubuntu Guides advice is the lengthy task of using itunes to burn all your m4a's to cd and then rip them all back into unprotected mp3/ogg/flac, although I think I saw some bulk m4a to mp3 converters for windows in my googles]

Comment

I would disagree with it m4a being one of the most widely used. That would be mp3. I would expect that ogg is as widely used as m4a. Maybe not for long. I wish that Apple would add ogg support to the ipod. Oh well, thank goodness for Rockbox.

Comment

You forgot flac (and so did amazon unfortunately)

Comment

Mp3 is definitely the most common, but I would peg m4a as #2. People with macs probably have m4a, or mp3.

Originally posted by lingenfr
          I would disagree with it m4a being one of the most widely used. That would be mp3. I would expect that ogg is as widely used as m4a. Maybe not for long. I wish that Apple would add ogg support to the ipod. Oh well, thank goodness for Rockbox.
          Oh Rockbox, how I covet you. If only I werent so dependent on my Apple Remote in the car I could use you.

The apple desktop dock with remote makes a kickass dashboard mount, what with the line-out and all.

Comment

I think it really depends on what os people use. Mp3 is undoubtedly the most used. On macs m4a is definitely number 2. But on windows I'd tip wma as number 2. And for linux users I expect its ogg.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyoodpov
              Oh Rockbox, how I covet you.
              Fortunately, you don't have to choose. I run both. I play my ogg's with Rockbox (how I spend most of my time) and play movies and listen to FM radio with the Apple closed-proprietary-pos. I am not sure that Rockbox will ever get an equivalent video player. I expect they will sort out remotes at some point. It is as simple as rebooting to move between the two. I don't find it a problem. Good luck.

Comment

https://launchpad.net/bugs/164537
                this fix is for a newer version of k3b to be in Hardy Heron, dunno if it could be backported to Gutsy

Comment

Just a follow up. Was using soundkonverter (its in the repos, nice program, kudos to whoever codes it) last night to convert some flac to mp3 to send to a friend. I noticed one of the backends it can use is faad, the same package that Lsongs said it used for m4as. I was thinking that if you install soundkonverter & faad it may be able to do a m4a to 'other' conversion. Can't test it out myself as I'm m4a less (flac all the way baby!).

Comment

Working...
                  X