Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the Kubuntu logo in Adept's package list mean?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does the Kubuntu logo in Adept's package list mean?

When I use Adept to search for packages there is a column in the results list between [Package] and [Status] that has a Kubuntu logo for some of the listings. For instance, I searched for compiz and the packages 'compiz' and 'compiz-bcop' have a logo in the column but 'compiz-compcomm-plugins-main' and 'compiz-kde' do not. What does the logo mean?

BTW: I use Synaptic occasionally and it has the same thing but the logos are in Ubuntu gold instead of Kubuntu blue.
    Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Re: What does the Kubuntu logo in Adept's package list mean?

You can find the answer to your question here; in short, packages marked with the *buntu logo are official Ubuntu packages, created and/or maintained by the Ubuntu development team.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Hmm... I'm not very comfortable with that answer since it's only half the story.

Packages with the Kubuntu logo are packages in the main and restricted sections of the Ubuntu repositories. They are packaged and maintained by the core developers (referred to as the Ubuntu team in that answer) and officially/commercially supported by Canonical.

Those without the logo are packages in universe and multiverse. These are the "community-maintained" packages, taken care of by the Ubuntu MOTU (Masters of the Universe, and multiverse) and are not commercially supported by Canonical.

Universe and multiverse are supported by the Ubuntu community, so you can still get help when you have problems with them. The difference is that these don't carry explicit guarantees, specially from Canonical.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Good, clear explanation Jucato. Thank you. I've never actually taken notice of the logos. Yes, I've seen them. Just never thought about them.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I should have let you answer the question the first time
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Heh I wouldn't have seen the question if you didn't answer it first and pushed the thread to the top of my feeds
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
            X