Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who/Where to ask if work is being done on Lexmark drivers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who/Where to ask if work is being done on Lexmark drivers?

I have read many posts about people with Lexmark products (who are basically being told to throw them in the trash and spend hard earned money on an HP.) So I understand that no such driver creature exists, or if it does, it is not common knowledge.

What I am wanting to know is if anyone is working with the Lexmark Linux driver kit.

http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/seque...5_0_en,00.html

I don't know how to make one myself... I know less than nothing about doing so.

Who should I be asking this question and where?

Thank you for your time!

HousieMousie2

Re: Who/Where to ask if work is being done on Lexmark drivers?

Start here:

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

They may not have the driver you want, but they have a lot of information and it is a good place to ask questions. I have had a few tough printers myself. Since I started running linux I have generally been able to get them working. My plan has always been to spend the extra money to get a postscript-capable printer and then I was (usually) guaranteed it would work. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you, lingenfr.

Comment

In general, you can utilize an HP driver for a LexMark printer. LexMark even identifies which HP printers it is compatible with.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          In general, you can utilize an HP driver for a LexMark printer. LexMark even identifies which HP printers it is compatible with.
          er... one problem, lol, my printer/scanner/copier is a bit long in the tooth... the Lexmark site's search engine doesn't recognize my unit. lol It works perfectly though... albeit in **covers mouth and coughs** "XP."

Any ideas where I should look? (I followed the link lingenfr provided, but I am still at a loss... could be the newbie fog is clouding my brain. )

Will I still be able to use the thing via virtual machine? (That is providing I get brave enough to try it with a pre-installed XP. oy vey)

Comment

OK HM2, one more try...

Go here http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

Click the drop down list on the left and scroll to Lexmark.

Click the drop down list on the right and scroll to your printer model. Since you have yet to tell us what model you are talking about (is it a secret?) I can't find it for you.

Click the button to the left marked show.

That will tell you what if any driver(s) will work with your printer and any special instructions. Start from there and post back if you have problems.

Comment

Ouch.

Sorry I did not provide the details of my Prin-Trio X75... wasn't trying to get someone to do the leg work for me, just info.

The bit of info listed on the Linux Foundation site is said to only work partially. Following the link for the X74 (which is listed as recommended,) then clicking on the Lexmark X74 link to get more info, it also lists X74 driver as only partially working. I take both of those to mean that the scanner is non-funtional (which I use a lot.)

Looking at the SANE site it seems to say that it is unsupported.

I am not sure what the information at the bottom of the page is meant to indicate... follows:

Output of /proc/bus/usb/devices or sane-find-scanner -v -v

But it doesn't look good for for getting all functions to work in Linux.

Sorry for asking an additional question without having first searched the forum to see if it has been answered.

Thank you for your time.

Comment

HM2, fear not, just being a smart arse. Sorry to hear no support for you scanner. I looked through the same information. It doesn't look good.

Comment

lingenfr,

lol I understand, I get that way myself at times... been more than one helpless Windows user that I felt needed a kick in the arse. Thanks for reminding me that too much information is not always a bad thing, but too little always is.

Thanks for your time!

Comment

Working...
                  X