This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Gutsy

I did a clean Gutsy install a few weeks ago and I have had a lot of problems. Programs crashing and the whole system locking up a few times. I have had problems with adept installing programs and it just doesn't seem as stable as Feisty.

When it starts booting I get text flashing across the screen, first error says something like:

Cannot allocate resource region 7
    Cannot allocate resource region 8

Then a little later it goes through a bunch more text. Also shutting down it goes through a bunch of text.

I just decided to go back to Feisty but now all 3 times that I tried to install Feisty it hangs up at:

select and install software
    installed openoffice.org-java-common

I had no problems the first time I installed Feisty on this computer off the same disc months ago. Any ideas on what I can do to get Feisty to install or Gutsy to work right?

Re: Problems with Gutsy

How are you trying to install them?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

A clean format and install from a CD is the only way I know how to answer that question. I am not sure if that is what you are asking or not.

Comment

It is; have you checked the CD for defects (option in the boot menu)? You may need to burn a new copy. If there are no errors with the CD, and it hangs again during your next installation attempt, reboot and try again. Repeat the process until you've succeeded, I've found persistence is the key.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I had a similar issue and "check CD for defects" showed no errors. Still I couldnt install from that CD.

I cut a new cd from the same ISO file and the installation went smooth.
          SuB<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />There are only two things in life that are mandatory. <br />Birth and Death.<br />Everything else is optional. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

You can of course use the alternate install cd. It is much more stable. Or burn the gutsy cd at less than 8x.

Just my 2c's.

As for your
            Cannot allocate resource region 7
            Cannot allocate resource region 8
            this may be usefull
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087928.0

Also here burning the install cd at less than 8x might help.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
            X