X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious..

Two things just quickly:

1) Is it at all possible to get Beryl installed in Gutsy Gibbon? Preferably with APT, but with source is fine, so long as someone can tell me where to find it (I tried looking, with little success ). This is because, Compiz Fusion is too unwieldy (for me, at least) and is just a pain in general. (I know it's beta, or there abouts, but Beryl was just a lot smoother/stable for me).

2) Is there a way to limit the amount of RAM Wine can detect/use/see while running? The reason being, my current motherboard appears to have this problem when I run games on more than 1Gb RAM (possibly due to timings), but I am unable to change those settings due to it being a cheap board. I tried the RAM, CPU and GPU in my mates computer, same games and setup, just different motherboard, and they worked without a hitch (both in Windows and Wine). Windows had the same problem for me, but changing the seeable amount of RAM to 1Gb from 2Gb sorted it, at least until I can get a decent motherboard. Any suggestions??

Re: Curious..

1) Is it at all possible to get Beryl installed in Gutsy Gibbon? Preferably with APT, but with source is fine, so long as someone can tell me where to find it (I tried looking, with little success Sad ). This is because, Compiz Fusion is too unwieldy (for me, at least) and is just a pain in general. (I know it's beta, or there abouts, but Beryl was just a lot smoother/stable for me).
    Beryl is gone after the fusion with compiz. So you will just have to live with compiz-fusion. sorry. it works fine on my old machine (ati radeon 9250 pro, 1gig ram, PIV)

As for wine I wouldn't know. I use vmware
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by nogagplz

Compiz Fusion is too unwieldy (for me, at least) and is just a pain in general. (I know it's beta, or there abouts, but Beryl was just a lot smoother/stable for me).
      Unfortunately, Beryl is a leading contender for the "Fastest-abandoned package in history" award for 2007. They have truly run away from it as fast as possible. It is not in the Gutsy repo, and I don't know whether there's still a web site for it or not.

The good news is, compiz is not in bad shape at this point. I don't what trouble you have had with it, but if you get your graphics driver installed correctly and get glx/aiglx configured for it, then compiz will work. My impression is that compiz doesn't hit your resources any harder than Beryl did -- on my it will take 2 or 3% of the CPU when I'm twirling the cube, so that's not too bad.

Comment

Oh, I used Envy to install the display driver, and that went off without a hitch (glxgears has an fps of 11,000 and games run very very well, but don't crash like in Wine or Windows =/). The main problem though with Compiz, is that when I run it from Konsole (Which I always do), it loads fine, but when Konsole is closed, the window borders of opened windows, as well as to-be-opened windows are not there. Other effects remain, like jelly windows and that flame trail thing, and selecting a theme from emerald equates to no dice. This is what Konsole says:

Code:
        neville@ussr:~$ compiz
        Checking for Xgl: not present.
        Detected PCI ID for VGA: 02:00.0 0300: 10de:0140 (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
        Checking for non power of two support: present.
        Checking for Composite extension: present.
        Comparing resolution (1280x1024) to maximum 3D texture size (4096): Passed.
        Checking for nVidia: present.
        Checking for FBConfig: present.
        Checking for Xgl: not present.
        Starting emerald
        /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
        Any ideas?

Comment

When you close the konole, you are killing compiz as it was running from that terminal

try running it like this:
          Code:
          compiz &
          That will make the terminal gives up control over the command after it runs

You may want to add '--replace' if you have any problems with window decorations in general

Code:
           compiz --replace &
          If you want to get back to a regular desktop (without having to log out or killing the xserver), use this command
          Code:
          kwin --replace &
          You can enter these in the Run Command dialog (alt-f2 if the menu does not work), and you won't need the '&' if you do it there

Comment

Originally posted by nogagplz

The main problem though with Compiz, is that when I run it from Konsole (Which I always do), it loads fine, but when Konsole is closed ...

Any ideas?
            Yes, Claydoh has advised you well.

Or, alternatively, do what you did and just don't close Konsole. With compiz running (after you started it in Konsole), just shutdown and reboot. When you log back in, VOILA, compiz is enabled.

Comment

This will not work, however if you have disabled saved sessions in System Settings' Session Manager

Comment

Alt + F2. I thought something was missing >.>; lol;.

Thanks for the help with getting it to 'stay awake'

Just quickly though, which parts of Compiz prevent the cube from occurring? Because, I'm, sure I set my keybindings right, and enabled it, but it doesn't react.

Cheers for all the help though

Comment

it has to be enabled, it is not in the default settings

Make sure you have compiz-config-settings-manager installed, and you can turn it on from its Desktop section, I think

Comment

Okay, well, I got something happening. It zooms out and spins and flips around, but, it's completely flat!! It resembles a piece of paper more than a cube =/

And, now, when I switch back to kwin and the mouse cursor goes to the edge of the screen, it switches desktops. How do I stop that from happening?

Comment

You should now have an icon in your system tray for the Compiz Manager. Right-click it and look for something like Compiz Settings Manager.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In your Kmenu->Settings->Advanced Desktop Settings->General->Desktop Size

Horizontal Virtual Size = 4
                        Vertical Virtual Size = 1
                        Number of Desktops = 1

And you should have a cube. And then you can play with all the different settings for transparencies, skydome, caps etc. and have hours of fun.
                        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

^___________________^

Thanks very much, and then some

Comment

Working...
                          X