X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Manager / KDE Sudo problems

Dear Kubuntu Community,

I am a complete newbie in the Linux world and I have been running Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon for about a week now. After some system update Adept Manager complained that it couldn't apply all the changes and I am having some annoying problems.

For e.g. at start-up I keep on getting this message:

And whenever I try to install ANY packages Adept Manager gives out an error like this one:

http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?im...apshot1ly8.png

I tried running Adept Notifier to update my system but it keeps on failing.

Can you please guide me through a possible solution to this problem? Maybe I need to look at some logs or boot-up Kubuntu with special keywords? Whatever it is, if you need more info I will gladly co-operate aslong as you tell me where to find it. :]

I thank everyone in advance,
    sneg_

Re: Adept Manager / KDE Sudo problems

Not sure about the kdesu (KDE sudo) problem, but from the screenshot you provided, the problem is this:

Look at he line, where it reads "Configuration file '/etc/qt3/qt3_plugins_3.3rc' and beyond - the installer asks a question, but unfortunately, you cannot answer this from Adept manager, because the tool doesn't yet support input - instead, the installer gets EOF (end-of-file, a special character) and doesn't continue. So there you have the reason.

Solution to this would be to perform installation with something that DOES support user input during installation. There are MANY ways to do this:
    • use Synaptic package manager, which is more mature - downside is that you can't install it right now, can you?! It doesn't come as standard in Kubuntu
    • use text-mode manager called aptitude - open terminal, enter "sudo aptitude", type your password and perform the install of said package (libqt3-mt) there it should already be marked for installation, you just need to perform the install... I use synaptic quite a lot, as I find it faster than Adept. Downside is it doesn't search descriptions and you really should learn the keyboard shortcuts to use it - no worry, just look in help or the menus (brought down by F10), the keys are specified next to the action you want to perform.
    • to cut all this short, open terminal, enter "sudo apt-get install libqt3-mt", enter password... when the installer asks you, answer (not sure, but I would go with the 'package' version, therefore 'Y' or 'I'), wait, done

Anyway, be sure to let me know if it helps.
    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

I tried something I really shouldn't have tried. Adept Manager -> Kdesudo -> Reinstall. :>

Buggered up my whole KDE installation. So I had to go command line and do sudo apt-get --reinstall install kde. Then that message you were talking about popped up and I typed Y and it is fine now. :]

Now the problem is that my System Setting menu in the KMenu isn't displaying properly all the icons are gone and stuff. Anyway I can fix this? Sorry for being a tard, the moment I realised I should have touched this, Adept was already removing KDE daemon. -__-

Comment

ouch, looks like a pain in rear...

If you need to fix breakage, then I suggest you try aptitude - it detects breakage and warns about them see which packages are broken and try to reinstall them.

Also, (I think) System Settings is NOT part of KDE by default, KDE has its own KControl... So you might as well try "sudo apt-get --reinstall install systemsettings" (or whatever that package is called).
        Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Thanks! kde-systemsettings hasn't been installed. :>

Comment

Working...
          X