This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost /home - modfified

I had 71.0 running pretty well on two 9 GB SCSI drives - one / and one for /home.

Yesterday the /home one died.

Now I have three disks - one slow 2 GB SCSI and one IDE disk. Both these hold some kind of Kubuntu - the 2 GB is broken, and the IDE disk 7.04. However, I cannot boot from that, and I want to keep the /home directory files on that.

The disks I have now are listed like this:

/dev/hda1 83 (7.04 w/ old /home)
    /dev/hda2 5
    /dev/hda5 82

/dev/sda1 83 (small)

/dev/sdb1 83 (7.10 w-o/ /home), fast disk
    /dev/sdb2 82

I have edited /etc/fstab, so that the "dead" /home disk is replaced with the UUID of /dev/hda1. For the moment I don't introduce hda2, hda5 and sda1.

Now things go fine until I log on as any user. What I need to know is how to introduce the /home directory on the hda1? It's part of a one-disk install of 7.04 - while my system is looking for a disk mounted as /home.

How do I do that?

Re: Lost /home - modfified

"I want to keep the /home directory files on that."

You mean you need to save the files that are on there now?

You are needing to save the data from the new home directory because you don't have a backup? If this data is valuable to you is it not possible to boot off a livecd, rather than your install drive, and copy the important data to another drive or to a dvd and then repartition and format the drive you want to make into your new home?

What is happening when you log in?

Can you paste the output of

dmesg | tail -30

Comment

Re: Lost /home

Thank you for offering to help me. I was very near having just one problem - when I did what I was trying not to do:

rm -r home

New install.

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA
        rm -r home
        By accident or on purpose?
        If by accident then in future, before typing in an unknown command that you find online I personally always like to look at what it does. One way to do this is to direct konqueror to the address
        man:rm
        (or whatever the relevant command is) and this will bring up a manual page about the what the command does and what all the options are (eg. -r).

On the upside, it was a revealing illustration of the power of the command line.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbanana
          Originally posted by nilsA
          rm -r home
          By accident or on purpose?
          If by accident then in future, before typing in an unknown command that you find online I personally always like to look at what it does. One way to do this is to direct konqueror to the address
          man:rm
          (or whatever the relevant command is) and this will bring up a manual page about the what the command does and what all the options are (eg. -r).

On the upside, it was a revealing illustration of the power of the command line.
          By accident. I had only /root and /home left on this drive, so I was trying to remove /root, and then move the /home content to / on the drive that is now mounted as /home. It was purely a function of getting tired. My brain said rm -r "not home but root" my fingers - oh. well.

But then, it's the experimental PC, so I learnt more than I lost. So, the next time, I almost know what to do.

Comment

Re: Lost /home - modfified

if you had removed root you would most definitely be reinstalling

Comment

Working...
            X