X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Java Question

Hello!

I'm not a complete newbie to linux. I've run it in the past, but I've always had someone else that knew more than me to help out when I had a problem. I'm also trying to move over to linux full-time, so I'll probably be posting a ton more questions.

Anyways, I'm having a bit of a problem installing the newest version of Java, so that I can install Eclipse. I tried at first to just install it using adept. It didn't have the newest version (1.6), so I went to download and installing it. That wasn't a biggie, except for the fact that it didn't work. When I tried to rpm the rpm package, I got this error.

Code:
    root@Eva:/usr# rpm -iv jre-6u3-linux-amd64.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
        /bin/basename is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/cat is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/cp is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/gawk is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/grep is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/ln is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/ls is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/mkdir is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/mv is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/pwd is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/rm is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/sed is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/sort is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/touch is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /usr/bin/cut is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /usr/bin/dirname is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /usr/bin/expr is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /usr/bin/find is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /usr/bin/tail is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /usr/bin/tr is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /usr/bin/wc is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
        /bin/sh is needed by jre-1.6.0_03-fcs.x86_64
    The weird thing is that all of those programs are in the directories they're supposed to be in. Any ideas?

Re: Newbie Java Question

You downloaded an rpm package?? *ubuntu uses .deb packages. And the Java package 1.6 may not be the most current version for the *ubuntu you are running. Which, by the way, is?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just upgraded to 7.10

I'll try the non-rpm package.

Comment

Use Adept Manger first when looking for packages to install. I'm pretty sure that Java JRE packages are in the repositories. What is listed in Adept Manger will be appropriate for the version of *ubuntu you are running.

Comment

I did that first, but the latest version is 1.4. The newest is 1.6. Also, when I used the adept installer, it didn't install the newest version of Eclipse either.

Comment

Adept Installer and Adept Manger are two different applictions. Both (I believe) use the same /etc/apt/resources.list file. Adept Installer doesn't list for the user, all the packages that are available. Adept Manager does - more than 22,000 I believe??

I'm running Feisty, and I think that Java JRE 1.5 is what is identified for it. 1.6 is for 64-bit platforms

You can open a console shell and type:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install --simulate packagename
            where packagename is the name for the Eclipse package. This will simulate the installation and tell you what problems it may encounter (if any). Any uninstalled, but required package dependancies and the version numbers will be listed. This is a very useful way to 'test' whether or not a package you want to install will do so with out any problems.

Comment

Code:
              root@Eva:/usr# apt-get install --simulate eclipse
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              Recommended packages:
               eclipse-gcj
              The following NEW packages will be installed:
               eclipse
              0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
              Inst eclipse (3.2.2-3ubuntu3 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
              Conf eclipse (3.2.2-3ubuntu3 Ubuntu:7.10/gutsy)
              It says that the version of Eclipse is 3.2.2. The newest one is 3.3.1. Is the package not of the newest version? Or is something wrong on my end?

Comment

Originally posted by AChapin
                It says that the version of Eclipse is 3.2.2. The newest one is 3.3.1. Is the package not of the newest version? Or is something wrong on my end?
                It means that for your installed version of Gutsy, 3.2.2 is the currently available version.

You have to remember, that just because you may find the program on the 'Net, and it has a higher version number, does not mean that it is the most current version for your version of Linux. When a package designed for version X of *ubuntu is approved/moved into the available repositories, then it will show up in Adept Manager.

Comment

sun-java5-bin - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 (architecture dependent files)
                  sun-java5-demo - Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 5.0 demos and examples
                  sun-java5-doc - Sun JDK(TM) Documention -- integration installer
                  sun-java5-fonts - Lucida TrueType fonts (from the Sun JRE)
                  sun-java5-jdk - Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 5.0
                  sun-java5-jre - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 (architecture independent files)
                  sun-java5-plugin - The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 5.0
                  sun-java5-source - Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 5.0 source files
                  sun-java6-bin - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture dependent files)
                  sun-java6-demo - Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6 demos and examples
                  sun-java6-doc - Sun JDK(TM) Documention -- integration installer
                  sun-java6-fonts - Lucida TrueType fonts (from the Sun JRE)
                  sun-java6-javadb - Java(TM) DB, Sun Microsystems' distribution of Apache Derby
                  sun-java6-jdk - Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6
                  sun-java6-jre - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture independent files)
                  sun-java6-plugin - The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6
                  sun-java6-source - Sun Java(TM) Development Kit (JDK) 6 source files
                  Both Java 1.5 (5... or is it 2?) and 1.6 (6) are available in the repos for Gutsy. Additionally there are GNU Java and Blackdown Java JREs and JDKs which have their own various version numbers.

I guess it really doesn't help that Sun seem to have about three different version number schemes on the go...

Comment

Working...
                  X