This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

administrator mode

just upgraded to 7.10. when i click on 'administrator mode', i am not being prompted for a password. shouldn't i be prompted everytime i do this for a password?

Re: administrator mode

The standard answer would be "yes." That said, did you make any setting changes after upgrading??
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have run into this many times. Sometimes it will not prompt for a password, other times it will not load that module at all. In either case 'sudo -k' will clear the sudo password and the prompt should reappear.

Mike
      http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks for the replies. i haven't made any setting changes. everthing is default, as far as my user account goes. as an example, i just turned on my computer this morning, went into system settings/monitor and display, and clicked on the administrator mode tab. i was prompted for my password. after leaving that, i opened adept manager, and it didn't ask for my password. so, i'm staying in admin mode after entering the password once. i entered that command in konsole and it didn't change anything.

Comment

i'm under the impression the sudo session default timeout was changed in 7.10.
          i.e.: sudo sessions seem to be longer than they used to be in previous releases.
          if you want sudo to ask for the password every time,
          then you could edit your /etc/sudoers file and add the following line:
          Code:
          Defaults:ALL  timestamp_timeout=0
          so as to set the timeout to zero.

hth
          cheers
          gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

thanks, jankushka. i guess i'll just leave it, unless it's a huge security concern. i'm afraid of monkeying with files like that, since i don't really know what i'm doing.

Comment

In Gutsy, the duration that Administrator authority lasts, once given, was increased. So, if you had executed a command that required sudo authority, that authority 'remains' for a longer period of time than before Gutsy. That explains why you aren't being prompted for the password again.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For the security concerns you can always run:

Code:
                sudo -k
                to end the current sudo login when you are done.

Mike
                http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X