This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

administrator mode

just upgraded to 7.10. when i click on 'administrator mode', i am not being prompted for a password. shouldn't i be prompted everytime i do this for a password?

Re: administrator mode

The standard answer would be "yes." That said, did you make any setting changes after upgrading??
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have run into this many times. Sometimes it will not prompt for a password, other times it will not load that module at all. In either case 'sudo -k' will clear the sudo password and the prompt should reappear.

Mike
      http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks for the replies. i haven't made any setting changes. everthing is default, as far as my user account goes. as an example, i just turned on my computer this morning, went into system settings/monitor and display, and clicked on the administrator mode tab. i was prompted for my password. after leaving that, i opened adept manager, and it didn't ask for my password. so, i'm staying in admin mode after entering the password once. i entered that command in konsole and it didn't change anything.

Comment

i'm under the impression the sudo session default timeout was changed in 7.10.
          i.e.: sudo sessions seem to be longer than they used to be in previous releases.
          if you want sudo to ask for the password every time,
          then you could edit your /etc/sudoers file and add the following line:
          Code:
          Defaults:ALL  timestamp_timeout=0
          so as to set the timeout to zero.

hth
          cheers
          gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

thanks, jankushka. i guess i'll just leave it, unless it's a huge security concern. i'm afraid of monkeying with files like that, since i don't really know what i'm doing.

Comment

In Gutsy, the duration that Administrator authority lasts, once given, was increased. So, if you had executed a command that required sudo authority, that authority 'remains' for a longer period of time than before Gutsy. That explains why you aren't being prompted for the password again.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For the security concerns you can always run:

Code:
                sudo -k
                to end the current sudo login when you are done.

Mike
                http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X