• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help a newb...

1: Yes
    2: Yes
    3: Yes

I have one C: partition for windoze, and i use partition D: for my stuff, music, my field recordings, and such

Comment

Okay. Now we have a clear picture of your current environment. Good.

You have a single HD, partitioned (by Windows) as two 'drives': C: and D:
      D: is the larger 'drive' being about 130Gb. But you currently have data on that drive that you want to keep?? I'm assuming so.

You'll want to backup that data, or move it to the C: drive (if you have space on C: to accomodate) so that D: can be done away with, and the space prepared for use by Linux. GParted LiveCD can do the preparation of D: when you are ready.

Is this what you want to do, and can you backup or otherwise move the data on D: ?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Okay. Now we have a clear picture of your current environment. Good.

You have a single HD, partitioned (by Windows) as two 'drives': C: and D:
        D: is the larger 'drive' being about 130Gb. But you currently have data on that drive that you want to keep?? I'm assuming so.

You'll want to backup that data, or move it to the C: drive (if you have space on C: to accomodate) so that D: can be done away with, and the space prepared for use by Linux. GParted LiveCD can do the preparation of D: when you are ready.

Is this what you want to do, and can you backup or otherwise move the data on D: ?
        Yep, im burning / moving all data on dvd-s that i cant live without, the rest is pretty much deletable

Im donwloading gparted livecd now, and lets say somwhere tommorow i will have backup of everything i need so i can proceed to repartition hdd

Comment

Partitioning done. Anyone willing to fill in for the next step?

Comment

Curiosity is killing me ...

What are your field recordings?

and

What size partitions did you make, and how many?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Curiosity is killing me ...

What are your field recordings?

and

What size partitions did you make, and how many?
              I use zoom h4 recorder to, well, record sounds, ambiances, etc outdoors. Some wind, some rain, some noises bla bla bla. Then i usually cut / copy / paste various sounds to make samples which i use with my "band". Sort of a hobby

C: 30 GB > Main windoze patition, system, programs, etc > NTFS
              D: 100 Gb > Stuff, storage > NTFS ( which i think i should make in Fat32? )
              E: / "root" > 29 gb > ext3
              F: swap > 1 gb

Comment

Interesting. I thought maybe you were recording "Mating call of the white-crested Serbian swamp warbler" or something like that.

Your partitions look fine. The 29GB partition for Linux will have roughly 24GB of space for data, after the OS is installed there. Your 100GB disk is fine to leave as NTFS if you want to also use it from Windows -- I wouldn't recommend changing it to FAT32. You'll just need to install the ntfs-3g package to read and write to it.

So, I recommend you use an Alternate Install CD, 32-bit or 64-bit according to your CPU, and then proceed carefully, and when you get to the part where you choose partitions for the OS and for swap, just point it to the 29GB partition and the 1GB partition, respectively, and tell it to format the 29GB partition as "ext3", and it will take care of everything else for you. Let us know if you have any problems with it.

Comment

Interesting. I thought maybe you were recording "Mating call of the white-crested Serbian swamp warbler" or something like that.
                  There are no swamps near, but i recorded some interesting "mating calls" and sounds in the forest

I intend to use 100gb partition as shared between kubuntu and xp, until i force my modem and soundcard to work like they should, then i will ditch xp

One question, when this is finished, can i somehow "save" the procedure of making those two working for future installs? You know, burn a special CD with all data needed to use in future instead of going all over installing win again and all this?

Going offline, installing kubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by krastavac

One question, when this is finished, can i somehow "save" the procedure of making those two working for future installs? You know, burn a special CD with all data needed to use in future
                    Personally, I have a "Configuration Stuff" folder in my /home directory, where I save the good xorg.conf, menu.lst, smb.conf, /etc/modules, /etc/fstab, and other useful configuration files.

For your installed packages, APTonCD is recommended, and I plan to use it next time I install a new version (about April, 2008 ). It is here: http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Originally posted by krastavac

One question, when this is finished, can i somehow "save" the procedure of making those two working for future installs? You know, burn a special CD with all data needed to use in future
                      Personally, I have a "Configuration Stuff" folder in my /home directory, where I save the good xorg.conf, menu.lst, smb.conf, /etc/modules, /etc/fstab, and other useful configuration files.

For your installed packages, APTonCD is recommended, and I plan to use it next time I install a new version (about April, 2008 ). It is here: http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

Nice one

I was wondering if i could save all compiled drivers and such stuff, so i wont have to rip firmware from win drivers for modem each time i install linux? ( if something terrible happends so it dies, that is... )

Comment

Just a stupid question here, why don't you just spend $20 on a second hand real modem/router?
                        Then you can use your network connection.

Much, much better solution. USB modems are a pita in windows as well, and never perform as well as a real router.

Save you a bucket load of grief.
                        You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by Pillage Idiot
                          Just a stupid question here, why don't you just spend $20 on a second hand real modem/router?
                          Then you can use your network connection.

Much, much better solution. USB modems are a pita in windows as well, and never perform as well as a real router.

Save you a bucket load of grief.
                          Gimme a link to a company / seller that will send a real modem / router to serbia, without $30 for postage, and that can skip our $20 "foreign order taxes". One who can find such thing can expect a barrel of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakia

Comment

Come on dude, you can buy a PC and/or parts thereof, does no one selling pc gear including your isps have real modem/routers?
                            Here in New Zealand even our main isps have options for a real modem/router.
                            We have to buy them though, they only give away the bull**** usb ones.
                            You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Gimme a link to a company / seller that will send a real modem / router to serbia
                              I may be able to help. I have a few sebian friends with familly in Serbia here in switzerland. Write me PM (personal message) and I'll see what I can do
                              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Lo and behold! even more trobule!

When i try to install kubuntu, if i dont select install in "safe graphics mode" after some time, eg. before K even starts, my monitor goes off.

When i select safe mode, everything's ok, but when i try to use 1024x768 - 85hz, same happends.

Now, it's weird, because when installing, K uses 1280x1024 - 60hz, which in windoze my monitor could support, but my eyes wont

It is weird, because, when i didnt try to dual boot, everything was perfectly OK?

Comment

Working...
                                X